OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

80 yard turkey kill with video

Started by bghunter777, April 28, 2015, 05:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdsberman

Piece of crap in my opinion.  He's not a turkey hunter .  I hope he doesn't consider himself one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onpoint

Quote from: ditchbank on April 29, 2015, 02:15:26 PM
Hell of a shot!! Great video!! Don't let the haters get to yA. It's all about turkeys dying. No matter if it's in a blind, Camo, no. Camo, stalking, not stalking. The turkey was cleanly killed. sometimes they shake a bit after being shot at 20yrds. He will eat just as good as a bird shot up close also, just with less pellets to watch out for while your chewing his breast up????

I have small thumbs!!
please tell me you are joking

kjnengr

Here's my  :z-twocents:

#1 - I do not condone long shots.  What makes a long shot depends on your setup.  An 80 yard shot is foolish, unethical, and low percentage at best.  I also didn't care for the charade about Jesus calling him on his cell phone.

#2 - I think it is all B.S.   Despite the title of the video and the cameraman calling it an 85 yard shot, I do not think it is anywhere near 80 yards.   I think it may be closer to 45 -50.   I may be wrong but here's my thoughts.

We don't see the shooter outside of the blind until 4:11.  We really don't know how far he is from the blind, but he is not far from that little dark green bush/weed/whatever at the bottom of the screen.  When he stops to reload, he is taking short steps and I wouldn't count them as a full three foot stride.  Also, he makes a dog leg to the right so he didn't walk in a straight line to the bird.  Remember that green bush/weed at 4:11? I believe that is the same one that can be seen at 4:51.  If so, that is not that far from where the ground blind is set up.  You can see how close the decoys are to the ground blind at about 4:50.  I would say that is a lot closer than 20 yards.  Now count the steps the cameraman makes to get to to the hunter.  We know that he actually starts at the blind.   I would still consider it a "long" shot and wouldn't have taken it from what I can gather.

Ihuntoldschool

Natural man made blinds are not unethical.  There is a big difference between using what nature provides to help conceal yourself versus using an artificial blind where you do not even have to sit still.   

tomstopper

Quote from: ditchbank on April 29, 2015, 05:24:37 PM

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 29, 2015, 05:23:36 PM
Natural man made blinds are not unethical.  There is a big difference between using what nature provides to help conceal yourself versus using an artificial blind where you do not even have to sit still.   
cough , cough, BS....a blind is a blind, they both conceal

I have small thumbs!!
Man are you trying to ruffle feathers because you are going to do a lot of just that. Personally I don't care about the blind issue but I do care about 80 yrd shots. I don't care what you say, taking shots at 80 yards is just plain disrespectful to the animal. More birds will be wounded than ever will be killed at this range and that is just sad. We owe it to the animals we hunt to make the most absolute perfect shot we can to ensure a quick death. Hope this response don't upset a lot of people, but really I don't care. Just an FYI, here on Old Gobbler we have rules on posting/supporting shots over 40 yards. I see that you are new so you might want to go back and read the rules again.......

g8rvet

QuoteI also didn't care for the charade about Jesus calling him on his cell phone.
Totally forgot about that.  I asked myself if that was what he actually said, but did not go back and watch that again.  Classless.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: tomstopper on April 28, 2015, 09:01:18 PM
This is the most pathetic video & hunter that I have ever seen. Way to give all hunters a bad rap......
x2 Slob hunting at it's best. 

bghunter777

I wander if these guys may have been handloaders using TSS or similar?

Bill Cooksey

No doubt it is currently possible to put together a combination of choke and ammo that will yield kills at 80 yards at a ratio most of us would consider acceptable. I also have no doubt there are people who are capable of handling that combo in a manner that utilizes its effectiveness. It's much like extreme long range rifle shooting, high speed racing and I'm sure a host of other examples we could come up with if given some thought. Combine the best technology with specific individuals, and incredible results can be yielded. Based on the conversation in the video, it doesn't sound like that is the case, but I certainly can't say for certain.

However, as in many aspects of life, just because something can be done doesn't mean that it should. Of course that's a life lesson that can't be taught. It can only be learned.

Regards from a turkey hunter who thinks fifty yards is twenty too far.

sixbird

I'll comment on what is POSSIBLE...I have a friend who made a GROSS misjudgement of range and killed a turkey dead as a door nail at 72 paces. I was there. I paced it off. I was behind him when he shot telling him it was WAY too far. He was excited and looking through a face net. Nothing but getting that turkey was registering. So, is it possible...? Yes...Is it ethical and should a person hold that up as an "accomplishment?" Absolutely not!
The whole idea of turkey hunting is getting them in close. It's about woodsmanship and stealth and good calling. Seeing them close up and unaware...
This stuff is an embarrassment...

bghunter777

Although my personal longest turkey has been about 55 yards I have witness 2 killed at 70+ the one was range finder verified I don't advocate that in anyway as you are asking for trouble and more often going to wound or miss the bird I do however tend to be a little more liberal than this forum of 40 yards and in only. I think with todays set ups 45-50 yard shots are very ethical.

catdaddy

The whole video p*ssed me off--the blind, the bad calling, the unnecessary music, the unethical shot and the sacrilegious bit at the end. I won't lie, I like to rap those guys up side the head with a stick.   

darn2ten

Quote from: bghunter777 on April 30, 2015, 10:36:35 AM
I wander if these guys may have been handloaders using TSS or similar?
I don't care if they were hand loading TSS or not. The younger generation see this stuff and think it's totally fine to be trying shots like this. It's pretty evident by reading this forum that some feel this way...sad! If you can't call a turkey into 40 yards, then you need to work on your technique, set up, and calling and just chalk it up to the bird won that day. Way to many instant gratification types out there who are kill at any cost. TSS is some neat stuff, but IMO certainly not necessary and just another crutch.

stinkpickle

Quote from: kjnengr on April 29, 2015, 04:46:58 PM
Here's my  :z-twocents:

#1 - I do not condone long shots.  What makes a long shot depends on your setup.  An 80 yard shot is foolish, unethical, and low percentage at best.  I also didn't care for the charade about Jesus calling him on his cell phone.

#2 - I think it is all B.S.   Despite the title of the video and the cameraman calling it an 85 yard shot, I do not think it is anywhere near 80 yards.   I think it may be closer to 45 -50.   I may be wrong but here's my thoughts.

We don't see the shooter outside of the blind until 4:11.  We really don't know how far he is from the blind, but he is not far from that little dark green bush/weed/whatever at the bottom of the screen.  When he stops to reload, he is taking short steps and I wouldn't count them as a full three foot stride.  Also, he makes a dog leg to the right so he didn't walk in a straight line to the bird.  Remember that green bush/weed at 4:11? I believe that is the same one that can be seen at 4:51.  If so, that is not that far from where the ground blind is set up.  You can see how close the decoys are to the ground blind at about 4:50.  I would say that is a lot closer than 20 yards.  Now count the steps the cameraman makes to get to to the hunter.  We know that he actually starts at the blind.   I would still consider it a "long" shot and wouldn't have taken it from what I can gather.

Yeah, I don't buy it either.  He says he can't zoom in on the blind, but he was able to zoom in the birds earlier.  It's just stupid, and apparently a great opportunity to bash decoys, blinds, and TSS.  Party on!     ???

RutnNStrutn

80 yards? May as well shoot him with a rifle. I have no interest in watching that video. ::)