turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opening Day GA Gobbler Down

Started by StruttinGobbler3, March 26, 2011, 05:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Connected on an opening day bird. Had nine gobblers firing off at my daylight setup this morning, in nine different directions. Figured I'd have one flopping in no time. Wrong. Every single gobbler had at least one hen with him. Never heard so much yelping and cutting at one time. After unsuccessfully trying to cut off the closest flock of birds, I went into run n gun mode. About thirty minutes later, had one fire off to some hard cutts on Hooks diaphragm. I scrambled to get set up in between a group of clumped up cedar trees. One yelp, along with a little clucking and purring, had him coming in hard. Saw his fan top the hill thirty yards away, clicked the safety off, and waited. Once he topped the hill a loud cluck dropped him out of strut, and he got a face full of Hevi #6s. He dropped and didn't twitch. Good two year old bird, 8 and a half inch beard with one inch spurs. Will try to get some pics up tonight.  :z-guntootsmiley:
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

JVA54

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

gatrapper

WTG....I called in two right off the roost.  They came in to 20 yards, but couldnt get a shot because they hung up behind some black berry bushes.  They were spooked by my strutter deke >:(
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

OLE RASPY

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TrkyHntr

He's big enough to ride in my truck!

Flydown

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

turkey slayer

trkycaller

nctrkyhntr

ghillie

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Can't wait to see the pics!!

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!