OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hard Gun Case - Air Travel

Started by FL-Boss, April 27, 2015, 06:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL-Boss

Can you guys recommend a decent hard case for air travel?  I don't need the best one.. just something decent.

kyturkeyhunter4

SKB Makes Really Good Gun cases.

alloutdoors

I really like my Pelican case.

JK Spurs

Bone Collector...think I paid $150 for mine. I flew twice with a shotgun/scope combo and never had to adjust the scope after arriving at camp...does a fine job.
I like my turkey well peppered

mudhen

SKB works for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

West Augusta

Quote from: JK Spurs on April 27, 2015, 07:25:55 PM
Bone Collector...think I paid $150 for mine. I flew twice with a shotgun/scope combo and never had to adjust the scope after arriving at camp...does a fine job.
I also have a Bone Collector.  It worked well for me.  My scope was still dead on when I got there.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

mgm1955

I have SKB and Pelican and they both are great.

Honolua

I have a couple cheap Plano ones that were like $25 each that are great.

ElkTurkMan

I have the cabela's brand aluminum double rifle/ shotgun case.  it has stood up to some pretty tough abuse by the air lines over the years.

LI Outdoorsman

Any hard case thats lockable is airline approved. Its up to you how much you want to spend.
I've travelled around the country with a plain Plano hard case with egg crate style foam inside with velcro hold down straps and never had an issue with a scoped turkey gun.

kjnengr

How many times do you expect to use it?  Just once or year after year?  A couple of buddies and I from work take a trip which requires flying  every year.  I provide the two gun cases for our four guns.

Baggage handlers are rough and if you want to use it more than twice, you have to get a good one, but "the best" isn't necessary.  I have an SKB case that started showing signs of wear (bent around the edges where the top and bottom fit together) after only two trips, but I think it will continue working well for me for quite a few years.  It has about 4 trips under its belt and is still in good condition. 

However, my favorite is this Plano case.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-Scoped-Rifle-Wheels/dp/B0029KDHQI

I have about 3 trips with it and it still looks perfect.  I think I will be able to use it until the wheels fall off. 

Both my SKB and Plano have wheels.  A quality gun case with two shotguns/rifles tends to get quite heavy and wheels definitely make it more comfortable if you have a long walk from the parking lot to check in. 

Also, I purchased a plastic engraved placard about 2" x 3" with my name and phone number on it which is attached to the case.  These can be made a local sign or trophy shop and are pretty cheap.  I once had someone take my gun case by mistake at an airport and I am glad he was able to get in touch with me. 

Stoner

I have the cabela's brand aluminum double rifle/ shotgun case with wheels. It is heavy duty case that has taken a lot of abuse from the bag handlers and it is still going strong. Cost a little more but worth every dollar if it saves your gun and your hunting trip. Highly recommend the wheels, it makes it so much easier getting around airports and going to your vehicle.