OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Arkansas: Season re-cap (With Pics) and Danner Steadfast review

Started by 8up, April 27, 2015, 03:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8up

First the boots. As promised, this is a post-season review of my Danner Steadfast 17" snake boots.

I couldn't be happier with these boots in every category. True to size, comfortable and 100% waterproof. Thankfully, I didn't get to test the snake-proofness  ;) Durability, of course, remains to be seen.

Now for the season. We opened on 4/18. My BIL and I got on 3 gobblers and worked them for about 4 hrs, moving several times. Turned out to be 2 yr olds, probably afraid to get a whoopin' from the local boss, so they would just stay out and strut and gobble.

We had family and church plans that kept us out of the woods the next morning. After church and an anniversary lunch for my in-laws, my wife hit the couch for a nap and I hit the woods.
I got on the same 3 birds, and they did the same thing. I stayed with them until a thunder storm moved in and I moved out. BIL couldn't hunt early the next morning, but I had a plan burning a hole in my brain.

I set up jake and hen decoys semi-breeder style and waited for daylight. When they finally got a look at the dekes they CHARGED, and the show was on! They proceeded to demolish that jake!!!
I watched for a bit, then picked out a clear bird... and MISSED!!! They jumped about 10 ft, circled the dekes and attacked again! This time I didn't miss. The other 2 jumped 10ft, circled the downed bird and attacked him! After a few minutes they started to wander off when I noticed the downed bird had his head up. I put another one on him for good measure, and the other two birds promptly returned to thrash the downed bird AGAIN!!!

After I tagged, photographed and toted my bird out, I called BIL. He whispers "I'm on a gobbler right now, I'll call you back." He wasn't far from me, so I drove over there and waited, but not long. BOOOOM!!! 30 seconds later my phone rings.  :z-winnersmiley:

I set up on gobbling birds every day for the next 3 days, had some good hunts and close calls. That's what I call a GOOD day!!!

Then friday, I'm on a bird early that whoops me, again! I was headed home and called BIL to see how he and one of his buddies did that morning. Same story as mine. He knows I'm coming right through the area he hunted that morning and suggests I stop in there and give the bird a try. I said I would, but if he's off in that holler he might have to wait for tomorrow, and fresh legs.

I started calling my way along the edge of the holler. 20 minutes into it I heard a hen yelping angrily back at me. I found a good hide about the time I saw her working her way toward me through the pines on top. Then I spotted the big boy she was dragging along behind her, in full strut, 4 jakes behind him. She was 10 yards away when I dropped him at 25. Season over, and what a great one it was!!!

tomstopper

AU coonhunter

Congrats on a great season. Question on the boots. I bought a pair before season and the back of the heel where the black and brown leather meet started collapsing in and rubbing my heels terribly, and I can't wear them anymore. No issues with yours in that area? I am sending them back to Danner and hopefully get them replaced.

beagler

Never Misses

Swampchickin234

mgm1955

8up

Quote from: AU coonhunter on April 27, 2015, 08:52:12 PM
Congrats on a great season. Question on the boots. I bought a pair before season and the back of the heel where the black and brown leather meet started collapsing in and rubbing my heels terribly, and I can't wear them anymore. No issues with yours in that area? I am sending them back to Danner and hopefully get them replaced.

Hey coonhunter,

There is an indention there on mine also, kind of like a "hinge" area,  but they don't rub for me. I hope the new pair works for you.

157buck

8up

zelmo1

Ralph-NY

Congrats.  Cant wait untilmy season starts, friday cant come quick enough