turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bruce Jenner Tom

Started by Mike Honcho, April 27, 2015, 12:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

My 15 year old grandson and I had an interesting hunt on Saturday... didn't result in a bird but we had lots of fun watching two toms and three hens on neighboring ground we can't hunt. 

After working them for a couple of hours we just gave up and watched (with binocs) the two Rio toms strut for the hens...they had three hens with them and wouldn't respond to our calls but put on an awesome show of strutting.   One of the hens went down in the grass in a breeding position and I asked Kolbi if he had ever seen a tom breed a hen...he had not and I said I think you are about to.  The hen stayed down right in front of the toms for about 30 seconds, but the dominant bird never mounted her just keep circling her and strutting.  She did this again two  different times but the tom never mounted her.  I was kind of surprised but maybe this is normal?   

Kolbi and I named the tom Bruce Jenner!   We'll get him next weekend...we messed up by using a ground blind and I think they were very wary of it as we have killed two toms already this season in same spot with the ground blind (with younger grandson who needed the blind) .

Dr Juice

LMAO! Beware, the Bruce Jenner Tom may sneak by you as a hen chasing a hen.  ;D

Mike Honcho

You might be right ...we'll have to watch out for that!

tomstopper

Good luck. If he ain't acting rite, do the population a favor and take him out....lol

steveo

LOL !!! At least you were able to enjoy a show.... Ain't always about killing a bird as good times are any time spent outdoors and even better with youth????.

Snoodsniper

Quote from: tomstopper on April 27, 2015, 05:37:05 PM
Good luck. If he ain't acting rite, do the population a favor and take him out....lol
Wish it was always that easy.......

mgm1955

101st501