OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Now I can sleep...finally

Started by Tommythreetoes, April 27, 2015, 10:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommythreetoes

My turkey hunting is done for 2015.  FINALLY it all came together and I managed to get tommy boy in front of me.  It's been a frustrating year for me.  Actually, a frustrating 2 years.  Last year was tough.  I called more birds into hang up range than ever before.  We had birds going crazy, but couldn't ever seem to close the deal out.  Finally last year, I connected on a bird.  Same story this year.  I have gotten REALLY good and calling birds in...to 80 yards :(.  After several days of hunting, and eating tag soup on the first 2 tags (just depressing), I finally got this guy to come in and check me out. 

Day 9.  The morning was good.  Calm wind, cool crisp air, and a hint of fog in the air.  I knew where the birds would be, so I slipped in before light and set up.  My rule for the day was to not call any at all until they had hit the ground...no matter what.  So that is what I did.  My silent nap was interrupted by a gobble 80 yards away.  Then another 100ish away, then another a couple hundred away, and another off in the distance.  I was surrounded by 4 birds and they were fired up big time.  Today is the day I think.  I can tell that one of the birds had hit the ground.  I give a few soft yelps.  The woods explodes with gobbles.  So, I go quiet for 4-5 minutes and they continue to talk.  I repeat the yelps again and I can tell that one of the birds roosted furthest away is coming, and in a hurry.  I just shut up.  I knew he was on his way, and he was gobbling every other breath, so I just got the gun up and waited.  Pretty soon I see his head, 100 yards and closing.  I'm thinking, done deal.  He stops at about 80 yards and puts on a magnificent 10 minute show, then turns and walks away.  Grrrr.  O well, bird #2 is on his way and #3 isn't to far behind.  Same story for those birds as well.  So, now I'm frustrated.  I'm questioning my abilities.  Did I call too much?  Not enough?  Was my setup wrong?  Should I have put a decoy out today?  The list of second guessing goes on.  I hunted these guys for 3 hours and just couldn't get it done.  I left bummed, frustrated, and maybe a little angry at the turkey gods.  So, I go to a new area...a new place that I hadn't hunted this year, but I knew there were some birds around.  The problem with this spot is that most of the timber is on the other side of a creek that isn't crossable.  And yes, they usually hang out on the other side.  So I go setup without optimism.  I call a bit, nothing, call, nothing, take a nap, wake up, call, and whaaa?...I think that's a hen on the other side yelping.  Hmm, maybe that's a hunter?  So I call some more and get turned around just in case.  I see one!  Hens.  Ugh.  Then there he is, all fanned out and following his girls.  I called a little and had his attention, but I'm thinking, there is no way he's crossing that creek.  I've seen this show before and it just doesn't work.  They drift off and I think that's about it.  5-10 mins later, here they come, running....I'm like what the () is going on?  The hens were chasing him off?  I dunno, but all I know is that he lifts off and flew right across to me!  As soon as he hits the ground, he's spitting and strutting, looking for me!  30 yards.  Game over.  Weird.  And that's the way my turkey days usually go.  Persistence pays.

Sorry for the long winded story.  I'm just greatful to have him and though that I'd share the story.  Moral of the story?.?  Don't quit.  Ever.  Just keep going.

kyturkeyhunter4

alloutdoors

zelmo1

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Greybeard11

Isn't it amazing how a day hunting can go from totally frustrating to absolute excitement in a matter of minutes!! Congrats.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."  -John Wayne

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Greybeard11 on April 27, 2015, 02:55:45 PM
Isn't it amazing how a day hunting can go from totally frustrating to absolute excitement in a matter of minutes!! Congrats. and this my friends is why im addicted.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BennieGobbler

These birds are absolutely crazy animals and I am glad to see you stuck him out.  The hens must have been mad at the ole boy because he was looking for another woman!!
Print by Madison, on Flickr

beagler

Never Misses

101st501

Roughneck

ridgerunner

Congrats..nice bird. Persistence is the name of the game.

tomstopper

Quote from: ridgerunner on April 28, 2015, 05:32:37 AM
Congrats..nice bird. Persistence is the name of the game.
Totally agree 100%. Congrats on sticking with it and closing the deal.

mikejd

That story and picture are the reason why turkey hunting is my favorite thing to do.

Congrats on a great bird.

8up

Congratulations, and way to hang!!!