turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Long Beard shells trrouble

Started by zeke632, April 26, 2015, 05:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Harris

My 870 was shooting 8" high with LB's and I read on here about deep cleaning. I did that and added sights, 200 pellets in a 9" circle is the norm now. Don't know if this is your issue or not.

VanHelden Game Calls

Did you try any other loads to see if they changed at all?  Seems the first place I would start being you have a history with this gun - it would eliminate any odd scenarios of a bad choke, screwed up sights, clothing worn, bent barrel, etc....

Try another LB bow would be my second step, if you find you got a bad box let Winchester know - I am sure they will take care of it.

M Sharpe

Sounds like different lot #'s to me.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Tony Harris on April 27, 2015, 11:55:54 AM
My 870 was shooting 8" high with LB's and I read on here about deep cleaning. I did that and added sights, 200 pellets in a 9" circle is the norm now. Don't know if this is your issue or not.

at what yardage do you get 200 pellets in 9inches?

hotspur

I witnessed two turkeys shot with longbeards that seemed to be hit with one pellet. I think both hunters were aiming at the head,both inexperienced and both first time turkey kills. Near misses

Tony Harris

40 yards. Measured. Got the result pics in the Pattern forum under 870 and a Stardot.

ilbucksndux

I had a similar experience with them this weekend. My son shot at one at 40 and it didn't seem he touched a feather. I was watching and didn't see shot hit the ground or anything. There were other birds there and they all just walked away fast. The one he shot at in the same health as the others. We looked,no feathers on the ground. He was under some stress when he shot(started throwing up as soon as we hit the woods) and I was rushing him to shoot cause the big boy seemed nervous.

We got back to the truck and I shot at a piece of paper at 30 steps and the pattern looked like crap. I didn't have anything on hand bigger to shoot at so I don't know where the rest of the pattern went. I patterned Long Beards last year and they were great. This was also a brand new box.
Gary Bartlow