turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tagged out in Indiana, 2015 edition

Started by buck_hunter21, April 26, 2015, 05:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck_hunter21

After a long wait, the Indiana turkey season finally came in. A lot of birds dropped during the youth season so I had high hopes going into the regular season. Unfortunately, right before season opened the weather turned really nasty here. Temps took a nosedive and opening day was greeted with very high winds.

Opening morning was pretty much a bust. I didn't see a tom or even heard a gobble all day. I called in a few lone hens, but other than that things were very slow in the woods. The second day of season brought a few gobbles on the roost, but nothing close. Things just seemed to be off in the area I was hunting compared to years past. Very little gobbling after fly down which makes me think the birds are henned up really bad.

The third day I was beginning to get a little frustrated by the lack of action so I decided to run and gun the whole day. Again, very little gobbling after fly down. Did not hear a single gobble from 8 am until noon. At noon I struck up a gobble and off I went after him.  I spent 4.5 hours chasing this gobbler. He had hens with him, but I have no idea how many. I ended up calling in 5 of his hens from him to my set up but he stayed with the other hens he had with him. I was unable to see how many he had but I knew he had hens because a hen kept yelping at me and he just gobbled right beside her side each time she did. I wasn't able to bag the bird, but I was happy to have at least had some action.

Day 4 brought more really nasty weather. More rain and more high winds. My buddy and I decided to hit a farm where we could set up a blind in a big open field. As the morning broke, we were very pleased that it looked like the rain and wind would be holding off for just a little while. We heard no gobbles on roost, but I didn't expect to hear any gobbles from the area where we were set up, but knew birds made their way to this field after fly down. A little past 8:20 am, we heard a gobbler let loose on his own. He was across a holler in another field, but I knew he would be headed to the field we were set up on. I called, and he answered immediately. Every single time I would throw a call out to check his location, he answered. Once he gobbled so close that I could hear that rattle in his chest I shut up and got my gun up. He entered the field to my left at 30 yards. I didn't waste much time at that point. I pulled the trigger and let the Hevi-7's do the rest.

He was a beautiful bird and I was really happy my buddy was there to share the hunt with me. He sported 10 5/16" beard and 7/8 spurs. Gotta love 2 year old gobblers.

Spill Blood

mgm1955

alloutdoors

tomstopper

ridgerunner

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

born2hunt

Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Gobspur

Congrats man!  I know those high winds on opening morning sucked.  I got lucky and tagged out anyways!!

owlhoot

Uncle Bucky

:turkey2:  AWESOME BIRD

I am a fellow Hoosier, Allen County.. what county you get your bird in ?

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

buck_hunter21

Spill Blood

8up

Good turkey hunter right there  :icon_thumright:

Adapt and adjust. Great Pics too!!!

WTG  :you_rock:

Shoot2thrill25

Congrats. From talking to folks seems like we're having a pretty good year in IN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk