OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Elders and Gobblers

Started by Gooserbat, April 26, 2015, 03:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Now I use the term elders in a respectful way, and I have to share about my Dad.  At age 60, I can tell he's not a sprie as he once was, but after two strokes, and two back surgeries its to be expected.  Saturday morning after we walked over 2 miles trying to strike a bird one finally gobbles, and suddenly he goes from a stoved up 60 year old to an a athletic 16 year old.  I could hardly keep up. We got that bird too. His second of the season. He's going to Missouri this week, so on that flat ground I'm pretty sure he's unstoppable.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tomstopper

That's awesome. Congrats to you pop.

LI Outdoorsman

Turkey hunting never gets old
Only we do...
Never give up!!

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

steveo

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Snoodsniper

Glad to see you out there still gettin' it done with your dad. It's really cool. Cherish those days they don't last forever.

mgm1955

zelmo1

Nice bird, better story. Nothing like a dose of Gobbler Fever to cure those aches and pains. Works for me, Congrats on the bird.

2eagles

I happen to be an "elder" with a couple of years on your dad. Absolutely nothing I enjoy more than hunting with my sons. My oldest got his first turkey this year. He is so busy with life, he just hasn't put in the time needed to get it done. The three of us spend a lot of time chasing waterfowl in the fall and too much time in a tree stand waiting for bambi. Point is your dad's a lucky guy to have you. I wish I could hunt again with my dad, but at 80 his hunting days are finished. I make a trip to CO most every year to share my turkey, venison and goose with him.

silvestris

Strokes suck.  I spent 23 months completely and totally exhausted.  I woke up one morning in mid-August and the first thought in my mind was, "something is different".  The exhaustion was gone and hasn't come back.  Now, I'm still a 67 year old "old fart", but I can hunt turkeys reasonably effectively again.  Thank God for recovery and turkey callers.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Gooserbat

Yeah I was sitting like 4 steps behind him, so even though I was calling I got to watch him as the two we birds came into range.  They came from a bad angle and he played it flawlessly.  Waiting for the right time to swing his gun and then for the turkey to give him a shot.  Never rushed it but just let it happen.  The bird he killed was 11 steps and the other was only 6-7 steps when he took the shot.  I feel like I can say I'm good at turkey hunting without being cocky, but after watching him over the years I know I had a great teacher. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

darn2ten

Man that's great! Congrats to you both!

Tommythreetoes

Congrats on a good season.  I can almost forget some of my hunts.  However, I can remember the hunts when I watched my dad or uncle smack a bird with no problem.  Those are the ones that mean the most.

gobbler777

Congrats from one "elder" to another. This if Spring Season #52 for me.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland