OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Ghost Bird!

Started by hermiehunter, April 26, 2015, 04:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermiehunter

What a way to end my season in NC! After nearly two years of history and sightings, I never thought the stars would align for me to get a chance at the ghost...But little did I know, Friday would be the day!

My buddy and I first seen this bird as a poult almost two years ago. Figured for the longest time it would turn out to be a hen, as most color phase turkeys are. Once he matured a little bit, we knew it was a gobbler. Last spring we had several opportunities on him as a Jake but had decided to let him mature.

Although we had heard reports from some locals this past fall that he was around, we had no confirmation. He didn't show up in the normal sighting spot at all prior to season. Until the day before our opener. We watched him strut with hens that day for over an hour. At that point, our hopes were back. He vanished after that Friday and hasn't been heard or seen again, until two days ago. Fortunately for me, I was able to capitalize on the opportunity!

He was a known 2-year old. 1" white Spurs. 9-1/4" beard, 17-1/2 pounds.

Snoodsniper

Haven't seen a wild bird with that much white. It's cool looking though. Congrats

eorlando

What an incredible bird. I sure hope you are mounting him. I know an incredible taxidermist in TN if you need one. He mounted my smoke phase Osceola. You can search my posts for pics of the mount.

LI Outdoorsman

Definitely a bird of a lifetime..hmmm..a few lifetimes!
Gonna make an awesome mount
Congrats

ncturkey

Congrats on taking the The Ghost. Hope you get him mounted. If you do get him mounted make sure you post a picture of him.

Gooserbat

Congrats, certainly is a cool tom
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ncturkey

Quote from: eorlando on April 26, 2015, 07:11:04 AM
What an incredible bird. I sure hope you are mounting him. I know an incredible taxidermist in TN if you need one. He mounted my smoke phase Osceola. You can search my posts for pics of the mount.
I would like se a picture of that Smoke Phase Osceola Mount.

taylorjones20

That is awesome! Congrats!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

hermiehunter

He's in the freezer right now. Planning to send him to Cally Morris @ Hazel Creek tomorrow! Gonna get a full strut mount. I'll definitely post pics.

Here's the last picture I took of him alive!

LI Outdoorsman

Wow that really is awesome.
You really show some great restraint in letting that bird grow and mature.
Most guys woulda shot him as a jake on first sight.

DawgsFan1

That is one really cool bird. Congrats!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

notsure

dutch@fx4

That is a very cool bird ,I wonder if any of his young will be white ,you will have to keep a eye open come summer for some white poults ..that is one hunt to remember  Dutch

Dr Juice

That's an amazing bird. Congrats. I'm surprised he survived from predation for this length of time.

tomstopper

Awesome and exceptional bird. Beautiful. Congrats.....