OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who is the Old Codger Here/ Redemption

Started by zelmo1, April 25, 2015, 08:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

:popcorn: I went with my hunting buddy Joe on his daughters youth hunt today. We have been scouting birds for a while and roosted a big gobbler about 8o yards off an old logging road that is only used for ATV's now, no gate but posted as such. We were walking out last night and a truck passed us and stopped where the bird was gobbling, only atv's allowed here. We get set up this morning, 1 mile walk in  so we don't spook the bird, about 150-170 yards from the bird. Shooting time was 0516 and we were there and set up at 0440. At 0510, a vehicle comes down the road with the radio audible. The bird shuts up and we hear someone with a peacock locator blowing it and walking up and down the road. We stand fast for a while and then pick up. I was upset, so I walked out to the road and it was the same truck as the night before, a guy around my age, 48, was smoking a cigarette at the vehicle. I asked him what he was doing, "Scouting for turkeys", he said. I told him it was youth hunt weekend and he was disturbing the young ladies hunt. " Free country", was his response with a very smug grin. I told him there were no motor vehicles allowed and interfering with another's hunt was illegal. "So what". My response was short and sweet, "So, I am turning you in to fish and game, it's a free country." He left and we actually worked a bird near there. We still had a great day and almost put one in the pot. I just am tired of people like that getting away with everything. Rant over, Good luck to all. Al Baker

LaLongbeard

Inbreeding makes for some strange people,La is full of them so I know what your talking about.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

jordanz7935

Man that sucks sorry that moron ruined your hunt. Same thing happened to my  buddy yesterday while he was taking a youth hunter out. They had a hen working into their setup and next thing ya know put-put she was gone. He stood up wondering what had spooked the bird and saw a 6 foot 200 plus pound guy standing in the tractor trail 200yds back full camo shotgun and all with no youth hunter my buddy yelled @ him. The guy beat feet and got the hell out of there. Anyone whos that dumb to ruin a kids hunt like that is ignorant to say the least. Good job keeping your cool and good comeback on the free country thing. Hopefully the guy gets a handfull of tickets.

ncturkey

Man that is mess up right there. My wife will not let me take my daughter to hunt the game lands for this same reason. Some folks are just greedy and do not carry about others. I have been super lucky to get a few private farms for my daughter to hunt the youth season. I feel your pain. I have been messed up a few times on game lands. The game land where I hunt has been packed with hunters this year. Hope you can put your daughter on a bird.

bbcoach

People have NO consideration for others anymore.  It's all about ME!  I hope you did in fact turn him in and he gets what's coming.  Good Luck with the rest of your Youth hunt.

West Augusta

Had a similar experience with a 4 wheeler turkey hunter,  I was working a gobbler and two hens.  He rode out the hill, stopped every 200 yards or so and blew an owl call and rode on.  If he would have stopped and hunted he'd have gotten a nice gobbler but he rode off.  A half hour later, I walked off of the hill with a fine long beard.  Don't give up on the birds.  Around here they are used to 4 wheelers.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

zelmo1

She got a bird this morning, 20/10/1. Funny thing, she missed the bird that the nitwit screwed us up on, TWICE. All is well that ends well. The moron was not seen. We will try to whack the bird in question next Sunday. Thanks for your support.

mgm1955

owlhoot

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

alloutdoors