turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First post!

Started by Slowshoe, March 26, 2011, 02:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowshoe

First time posting here.. Had a good hunt this morning.

Been hunting the same birds since saturday morning with my buddy and every day they have eluded us. A couple times we sit about 50 yards away from their roost tree but they would pitch down the other way. Other times we sneak back in there and they would gobble their heads off at every single call we give em but they would always seem to follow their ladies and just keep walking away. Finally after the fifth time getting the cold shoulder from these swamp dragons we decide that today is going to be the day.

We set up about 100 yards away from their tree down the creek. Every other morning we have seen these turkeys go through this area so we had a lot of confidence. Once it got to gobbling time, sure enough, they were sounding off all morning until they flew down. After flydown we diddnt hear one peep from them the rest of the morning.

At around 7:30 Joe whispers at me to stay still, theres hens right out front. There were probably five hens and they were scratching away to our right and finally i see three big gobbs in full strut walking right at them. The hens turned towards us and they got about 50 yards and were bringing the bosses into our trap. Three of them were within 50 yards and we sent two of them to Jesus. I shot the first one and handed Joe the gun (he was manning the video camera too) the other gobbs ran away but one came back to fight the dead one and he blasted him.

Swamp Dragons beware.

bird

Outstanding Read and Pictures!!  :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

:wagon:

Hognutz

Way to go, Slowshoe. That's what I'm talkin' about. Takin' a double with one gun..Well done, Boys..Mike  :fud: :newmascot: :newmascot: :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Odessa

What a great story and  :welcomeOG:
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

redarrow

Congrats on a dandy bird, And :wagon: :welcomeOG:

FANMAN

:welcomeOG:  and congrats. on a great day. :icon_thumright:

Chester

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

a-j calls

:welcomeOG: Great hunt and pictures, hope we get to see the video..

Jay

Outstanding guys. Can't wait to see the video. :icon_thumright:

Slowshoe

Thanks guys! about that video, i would love to post it up but my buddies camera only records to tapes and we have no idea how to get them onto the computer. A lot of good footage is on there from this season. Gotta find some body around here with the right chord i think.
Swamp Dragons beware.

kamski1151

Congradulations and  :wagon:

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

JVA54

OLE RASPY

whiskey

Nice job. Congrats to you both!

kj

Way to stick with them.  Congrats!