OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

She Shoots, She Scores!

Started by beagler, April 25, 2015, 01:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagler

Woke my 9 year old daughter up around 6am to go hunt out in back of the house. Didn't have high hopes due to the fact that I've been seeing very few birds around my immediate area lately. We heard a bird gobbling up on the mountain above my house but unfortunately I don't have permission to hunt where the bird was located.
We worked our way through my back field and set up in an area where my neighbor informed me he has been seeing several jakes lately. We found a good tree to sit next to and I began letting out a series of yelps every few minutes. I was hoping something would respond in short order because it was a chilly 28 degrees out and I wasn't sure how long my daughter would be able to sit.
Within a half hour I head a gobble fairly close but what I thought was directly behind the tree we were sitting next to. We quickly repositioned to the opposite side and got situated. A minute later I heard the bird gobble again but this time I was certain it was coming from the direction we had originally been facing! We once again repositioned and it was long before I spotted two birds coming in slightly from our right. The were coming right for us so I tried to tell my daughter to relax and let them close the distance.
As they approached I saw both birds had short stubby beards, undoubtedly the jakes my neighbor had told me about. At about 20 yards out I informed my daughter to place the red dot of her Burris FF3 on the lead jakes head and squeeze the trigger. Her Mossberg 510 Mini Turkey Thug roared sending a load of Federal Heavyweight #7's directly into the lead bird's head. My daughter had taken her first turkey! We high-fived and hugged. It was a great day afield with my daughter.

Never Misses

Rapscallion Vermilion

That's a real trophy. Some fantastic memories there.  Congrats!

Snoodsniper

alloutdoors

steveo

Fantastic !!!! Way to go on a great hunt !!! One to remember for sure???? congrats to you both !.

zelmo1

:z-winnersmiley: Awesome job young lady, and dad too. Perfect day. Congrats

Dr Juice

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

grayfox

That's awesome!  Congrats to both of you.

kyturkeyhunter4

DawgsFan1

That's what is all about right there. Congrats!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Bowguy

bbcustomboxcalls

What a great job she did.  That smile says it all.

Bill

101st501