turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Great Youth Hunt in NY!!!

Started by WNY Bowhunter, April 25, 2015, 09:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNY Bowhunter

Well, I took a friend of mine's 12 year old son out this morning on his grandfather's farm. For the past years I had taken his older brother out for the youth hunt in this same location and we went two for two. I was really hoping to keep the streak alive today. Yesterday afternoon I set my blind up at the bottom of a gully that is a preferred roosting location. At first light a gobbler sounded off above us and then a couple more off to the left. They hit the ground and went silent. I called a little bit and got a response not too far above us. It wasn't long till we had a longbeard working in, strutting the entire way. He eventually spotted the jake decoy and made a b-line to it. As he made it into range he went behind a log and all we could see was his fan until he finally stepped out at 15 yds and Caled dropped the hammer at 6:27.  What a fun hunt, and a great way to kick off the 2015 Season!!!

Add another kill for the new Halloran Metal Mouth...

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

alloutdoors

Congrats! I didn't have a kid to take this year so a buddy and I went out to do some scouting. We had about 15 gobblers located by 7:00, plus I know where about 10 more should be from scouting last weekend. Hopefully we can hook up with a couple of them on Friday. On my way home I saw a nice tom that got obliterated on the road this morning, such a waste, had nice 1 1/4" spurs.

njdevilsb

That's great.  Congrats to you guys.  It's nice to finally see some NY toms hitting the dirt. 

I'm going to check some cameras today and do some scouting for next Friday. It's been a long wait, but it's almost here.

beagler

Never Misses

steveo

Sweet !!! Way to go, congrats to you both !!

zelmo1

Bowguy

bbcustomboxcalls

Congrats young fellow. Nice bird!

Bill

Snoodsniper

mgm1955

WNY Bowhunter

Quote from: alloutdoors on April 25, 2015, 09:52:30 AM
Congrats! I didn't have a kid to take this year so a buddy and I went out to do some scouting. We had about 15 gobblers located by 7:00, plus I know where about 10 more should be from scouting last weekend. Hopefully we can hook up with a couple of them on Friday. On my way home I saw a nice tom that got obliterated on the road this morning, such a waste, had nice 1 1/4" spurs.

Dang, sounds like you have some phenomenal turkey property out there!!! Good luck on friday.
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

jordanz7935

Great job to you and your youth hunter. Nothin better than sealing the deal with a youngster and seeing that smile on their face. Memories like these last a lifetime. Great pictures also.

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

tomstopper

Congrats to that young man. Took my nephew out yesterday morning and we couldn't get anything but hens to vocalize with us (couldn't go out today due to prior engagements). That's hunting but glad others are getting some action...... We are going back after them on Friday.