OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

POI change between different ammo?

Started by Bigeclipse, April 25, 2015, 07:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeclipse

I am not talking about pattern here just point of impact. What I want to know is can I use cheaper ammo than my HEVI mag blend to sight in my shotgun red dot? I know the patterns will definitely change but what about the POI for the center of the patterns? Thanks

Rapscallion Vermilion

Sure, start with the cheap stuff, zero in at 20 yards, then move to 40, and then fine tune with your hunting loads, because there will likely be differences between the two, possibly several inches.

alloutdoors

I use light field loads at around 15 yards to get close. Then shoot turkey loads at 40 and make any adjustments that are needed. I finish of with a turkey load or two around 15-20 yards just to verify, because it won't necessarily be the same as the field loads.

Longshanks

Lighter loads will get you close, then I go 20,30,40 with the load I hunt with. Biggest changes in POA/POI I see is Win LB and Hevi 13.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Bigeclipse on April 25, 2015, 07:54:38 AM
I am not talking about pattern here just point of impact. What I want to know is can I use cheaper ammo than my HEVI mag blend to sight in my shotgun red dot? I know the patterns will definitely change but what about the POI for the center of the patterns? Thanks

I'd only add that it seems to help if you can use shells that have a muzzle velocity that is close to that of your turkey loads.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

njdevilsb

To get close you can use other ammo.  For final tuning you definitely need to use your hunting load.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Longshanks on April 25, 2015, 09:24:57 AM
Lighter loads will get you close, then I go 20,30,40 with the load I hunt with. Biggest changes in POA/POI I see is Win LB and Hevi 13.

Funny you say that because for me the long beards and hevis are right together so far

Greg Massey

I use a box of upland game bird with the buffer and copper shot to get my gun on point. I always try to get it in the same shot size or as close as possible with what I'm going to hunt with in a turkey load.  Start off like all the other post said and work your way to 40 yards.

grayfox

This is what I do. With my red dot I shoot at around 15 yards with a cheap shell.  Then I put some type of mark like a small sticker in the center of the pattern.  While holding down the gun firmly in some type of shooting device like a Lead Sled (Best if someone can hold it for you) I adjust the dot to the sticker on the center on the pattern.  Shoot & readjust as needed.  When you get it as close as you can repeat this procedure at 40 yards with the hunting load you will be using.  Be sure & use a large enough target to see your whole pattern when you shoot.  If you are already fairly close to being sighted in you can go to 40 yards & use you hunting load.  Hope this might be of some help to you.  Works well for me.