OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Beards

Started by pdqt, March 26, 2011, 12:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdqt

My hunting buddy killed a gobbling, strutting, turkey, with good spurs, a few years back that had  a 3/4" beard that was light tan in color.
:gobble:   :gobble:

njdevilsb

Probably beard rot or it froze and broke off during the winter.  I shot one like that a few years ago.  A mature bird with barely a 2 inch beard and the ends were an amber color.

huntinhard

Lack of melanin causes that

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hognutz

All turkey beards are not created equal... It's not the size of the ship...:TooFunny:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Jourdan_D

Quote from: Hognutz on March 26, 2011, 01:54:31 PM
All turkey beards are not created equal... It's not the size of the ship...:TooFunny:

HAHAHAHA :lol: :goofball: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

TRKYHTR

Quote from: huntinhard on March 26, 2011, 01:11:45 PM

I agree. Alot of people call this beard rot but it doesn't have anything to do with the beard rotting. It's the lack of melanin that gives the beard its black color and its strength.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

OLE RASPY

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 26, 2011, 04:54:33 PM

I agree. Alot of people call this beard rot but it doesn't have anything to do with the beard rotting. It's the lack of melanin that gives the beard its black color and its strength.

TRKYHTR
:icon_thumright:

whiskey

I killed a bird 2 years ago that started the season with a 8" thick wide beard. I saw him all season and he was the boss bird, but I didn't kill him until a month later near the end of season. By the time I killed him his beard was about 4" and and turned blond the last 1.5". The game warden called it beard rot.

FLGobstopper

I've heard the lack of melanin, or beard rot like most people call it, will make the beard brittle and it will result in the beard breaking off in places producing a smaller rotting beard. I shot a bird a few years ago that was a fat stud with big ol sharp curved hooks and about a six inch super thick beard. It wasn't blonde or anything but it looked like someone had taken scissors and clipped his beard perfectly across. I'm guessing he was recovering from beard rot.

turkeyhunter60

:chucknorris:I shot a big Tom once, and it had 3/4 inch spurs, and a 2 inch beard, 23 lbs.Rio Grand turkey... out of Cottonwood Calif. It was brown at the tip of the beard....I heard it was beard rot....  :fud: :newmascot:
BIG FRANK...

hookedspur

:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

pdqt

Well you do see a white, wild turkey now and then. I killed a hen in the fall a few years back that was mostly a dirty or grayish white on the upper body. The tail was mostly black. She had been around a while, had a #4 buckshot near the tip of the wing and a #4 small shot elsewhere that had healed.
   A little more recent I killed another that was brown, best way to describe it is, it was about the color of a woodcock. There were two of them in the fllock. My buddy saw another one a few days later. Don't know what happened to that one, we never saw it again.

FttFttVroom!

I've also killed a mature tom with a short beard that was yellow and brittle on the end.