OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dilemma - need a QUALITY turkey scope

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 23, 2015, 05:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Those of you that have followed my posts know that I am a scope man. For nearly 20 years I had an old pistol scope mounted on the vent rib of my turkey barrel. But at the range before the season, while sighting in Longbeards, the old scope gave up the ghost. I got a Truglo green dot to replace it, and sighted it in and went hunting.
While I was on a hunt in NC, I called in a nice gobbler off of the roost, and proceeded to shoot a tree. ::) I thought it was me, kicked myself in the butt and moved on. Later that day, I called in another beautiful gobbler. He strutted in to 20 yards, I fired, and I missed, AGAIN!!! >:( Not realizing it wasn't me, I jacked another round, shot and hit his body. He ran, tripped over a log and when he got back up I fired again, hit his body, again. I recovered my gobbler. There were no hits in his head or neck, and the shot impacted low and to the right. ::) Apparently that Truglo hunk of garbage didn't hold it's zero. I hadn't bumped it or dropped it, and in my travels it was in a hard sided gun case.
Anyway, I am now in search of a good quality scope. I like scopes, so please don't comment that I should just go with the bead, or rifle sights. Several people have recommended Burris Fast Fires or EOTechs. Problem is, I have a red/green color deficiency, and red does not stand out to me. So a red dot will not work, whereas a green dot works perfectly for me. The Fast Fires and EOTechs only come in red dots, so they are both out of the question.
So I'm looking for a quality green dot scope, or a pistol scope that I can mount back on the vent rib that will hold up to the recoil of a 3-1/2" Longbeard. Any suggestions? Thanks y'all!! :icon_thumright:

PS A nice OG member offered to sell me an extra Nikon Turkey Pro scope that he has, but I want to use my shotgun for other hunts than turkeys, so I don't want to mount the scope to the receiver, nor do I want to have to take it off, then resight it in every season.

Tail Feathers

The Bushnell Trophy has served me well on my 835 for years.  I shoot the 3.5" shells out of it, about 10 per year on average with sighting, patterning and hunting I would say.  It's held up well for 10 years.

It comes with a red/green option.  I have a Bushnell TRS 25 that you saw, but it doesn't have a sunshade (which I think hides any shine from a tom) and it's red dot only.

I would buy another Bushnell Trophy dot scope in a heartbeat.  I put one on the grandson's 20 gauge as well.  I can shoot them with both eyes open with no problem.
Durable, good battery life and no problems. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Onpoint

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 23, 2015, 05:27:30 PM
Those of you that have followed my posts know that I am a scope man. For nearly 20 years I had an old pistol scope mounted on the vent rib of my turkey barrel. But at the range before the season, while sighting in Longbeards, the old scope gave up the ghost. I got a Truglo green dot to replace it, and sighted it in and went hunting.
While I was on a hunt in NC, I called in a nice gobbler off of the roost, and proceeded to shoot a tree. ::) I thought it was me, kicked myself in the butt and moved on. Later that day, I called in another beautiful gobbler. He strutted in to 20 yards, I fired, and I missed, AGAIN!!! >:( Not realizing it wasn't me, I jacked another round, shot and hit his body. He ran, tripped over a log and when he got back up I fired again, hit his body, again. I recovered my gobbler. There were no hits in his head or neck, and the shot impacted low and to the right. ::) Apparently that Truglo hunk of garbage didn't hold it's zero. I hadn't bumped it or dropped it, and in my travels it was in a hard sided gun case.
Anyway, I am now in search of a good quality scope. I like scopes, so please don't comment that I should just go with the bead, or rifle sights. Several people have recommended Burris Fast Fires or EOTechs. Problem is, I have a red/green color deficiency, and red does not stand out to me. So a red dot will not work, whereas a green dot works perfectly for me. The Fast Fires and EOTechs only come in red dots, so they are both out of the question.
So I'm looking for a quality green dot scope, or a pistol scope that will hold up to the recoil of a 3-1/2" Longbeard. Any suggestions? Thanks y'all!! :icon_thumright:
Nikon monarch 1.5x4x20.

RutnNStrutn

OnPoint, is that a pistol, or rifle scope?

RutnNStrutn

Tail Feathers, where do you have those scopes mounted on the guns at? Receiver?

howl

Trijicon does a green reflex. I don't think they do, but it'd be worth checking to see if Aimpoint does a Micro with a green dot. Those are the two best.

RutnNStrutn

I checked out Trijicon. Too expensive for me!!! :o I'm just a po fireman. :firefighter: :(

howl

What is your budget? Sounds like you should look at a low power variable with as close to 1x on the low end as possible. I recommend posting this on opticstalk.

Onpoint

Quote from: Onpoint on April 23, 2015, 05:36:22 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 23, 2015, 05:27:30 PM
So I'm looking for a quality green dot scope, or a pistol scope that will hold up to the recoil of a 3-1/2" Longbeard. Any suggestions? Thanks y'all!! :icon_thumright:
Nikon monarch 1.5x4x20.
Mine is a shotgun scope with a long eye relief. I like it better than any of the 3 fast fires I've owned.

RutnNStrutn

Phire Phite

Vortex is making one too now, but it's new and I don't know if they come in green.

This another option, they make a couple diff ones.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strikefire-2-red-dot-with-red-green-dot-cantilever-mount

Then

http://remington870.net/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=87

Thundermtn

Check out the Redfield line. I'm pretty sure they are made in the leupold factory (USA) and come with a lifetime warranty. I have one on a rifle and its nice.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 23, 2015, 05:45:06 PM
Tail Feathers, where do you have those scopes mounted on the guns at? Receiver?

Ah yes, I re-read your post and remember your mount now.  Mine are on the receiver.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bbcoach

Another vote for the Bushnell Trophy Red dot.  I shoot the 3.5 Hevi's out of my 835 and it's never let me down.  After you get it sighted in, where you put the dot, that is where the shot goes.  The dot doesn't have to be centered.  I had to turn my 835 on its side on Monday morning to kill a bird and the shot was right where I squeezed it off.

TauntoHawk

I am usually in that camp recomending a reddot over scopes but in your case I think the scope is the way to go..

http://answers.cabelas.com/answers/8815/product/713809/nikon-nikon-1-65-5x36-turkeypro-shotgun-scope-with-btr-questions-answers/questions.htm

Id look for a nikon turkey pro if i was going the scope route
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>