OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

good opening ky weekend

Started by greentag, April 22, 2015, 11:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greentag

the first morning in my home state turned out to be a good one,as i was walking in i heard a bird gobbling, it was roosted on ridge close to corner of a field were i had seen a few birds strutting a few days before,it was already getting light out so i set up about ten yards up in the woods at a little peek in the field.i just done a few very light tree yelps and never called again till the bird was on the ground.once he was on the ground i let out a series of yelps which he cut me off.a hen started yelping to my right followed by 2 more gobblers gobbling.i knew no one else was on the property so i cut loudly at the hen,this hen went crazy,she started cutting back and i would cut her off,it wasnt but about a minute til she showed up.it was fun watching the way she acted,at one time she even strutted like a gobbler for about a half a minute,she got within ten yards of me looking everywhere for what she thought was another hen all the wile all three gobblers were gobbling there head off and closing the distance.the hen would look a minute and then start to head toward the middle of the field,i would cut and excited yelp and she would turn around and come right back,suddenly i heard what i thought was the pft of drumming and i slowly rolled my eyes to the left,i could see a gobbler strutting less than 30 yards from me but i couldnt shoot through all the stuff between me and him,he kept coming in view and out gobbling and drumming,while the two gobblers to my right were now very close sounding,suddenly i seen a glimps to my right and those two were running and were going to come right past me,when they got in range they dipped down in a low spot in the field and popped back up with the other gobbler.when i couldnt see them through the thick stuff i would call soft and they would gobble imediatly,i did that a couple times and just put my call down.finally i see them coming around the thick stuff right in my shooting lane and i shoot the one that had been to my left,he was the only one that was strutting the other two never did.he weighed 20 pounds  had a good thick 10.5 inch beard and one inch spurs.the following morning i decided to take a jake and hen decoy and set up close to the same spot and just see what happens cause it was pouring rain.once i called one answered from an extremly long ways off.it was pouring the rain and i thought i was the only person on this property.boy was i wrong,that turkey kept getting closer gobbling,and when he was about 80 yards from me and about to be in view,i saw cows take off running followed by two guys headed straight towards the gobbling,they got on top the hill were he had last gobbled and started blowing a crow call that kinda sounded like one of those things you blow at birthday parties,the bird never gobbled again.they must have seen my decoys cause after about 30 minutes of no more gobbling the came down a dirt road in a truck and backed up stared accross the field at my decoya and left.i waited about 45 minutes after i knew they were gone and called,one imeditaly answered me back behind me about 60 yards away,after about 20 minutes i seen him entering the field and staring at my decoys,he went straight to them.this bird i first thought was a jake,he had about a 4 inch beared but when he strutted he had a full fan,he also gobbled again and it wasnt a jake gobble and he looked as big as the one i shot the day before.he stayed there forever.i couldnt decide wheather i wanted to shoot him,while he was surly a trophy worthy of taking,i wasnt sure i wanted my season to end on the second day with him.when he left he came closer to me and i could see that he had what looked like a set of 2 year old spurs and were his beard was broke or whatever it looked brown on the tips.i had seen birds before with beard rot and i believe this was a 2 year old with beard rot.needless to say he will live to maybe one day grow a full beard and hopfully will get his dad or grandad along the way.this has been an exciting weekend were it looked like i did everything right,since then hasnt been as good im still after my second one.i like hunting longer than just 2 day though,i always learn something every year,and with each year i feel i become a better turkey hunter.if youve read this this far thanks for letting me ramble on...and good luck to everybody whose season just started..

tomstopper

Sounds like a nice couple of days. Congrats

alloutdoors

Snoodsniper

kyturkeyhunter4

Limbstrutter

SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

beagler

Never Misses