turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ohio Birds Tagged Out

Started by tomstopper, April 22, 2015, 12:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Hello everyone. Went to Ohio and hunted the first two days with a guy and it was an awesome time. First morning, we called a bird far off of a ridge (took about two hours and a period of time where we just shut up for 30 mins and it drove him crazy and off the ridge) where he ran towards the strutter decoy and out of pitty for the decoy (it was about to take a major butt whooping), I introduced him to some #5 shot. Bird #1 stats: 19lbs 11oz,3/4in spurs, 9 1/4in beard.
Day two, we arrived onto a pipeline at around 5:30and just got out to listen. At 5:45 a gobbler was gobbling his head off more than any gobbler that I heard before. We were only about 150 yards away so we decided to go around the backside of the ridge and set up about 70 yards from him onto the upper pipeline. During this whole time, he was gobbling like crazy and after a few lite yelps and some scratching in the leaves, he was on the road and coming in. when he got into view and I could tell he was a good one, my 870 ate again. He was tagged and over my shoulder at 6:30 am. Bird #2 stats:22lbs 4oz, 1in spurs, 10.5in beard.
I was packed up and headed back to NY to prepare for this weekends youth season by 9:30am (saved $80 for lodging and two of my vacation days  :z-guntootsmiley:)

Dr Juice

perrytrails

Great birds bud congrats!! I'm glad Ohio was good to ya. Sounds like a great hunt both days!!

I'll get my first day out tomorrow, hope for some luck!
Working the first 3 days of season has about killed me. LOL again congrats...

Tennessee Lead

Nicely done! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

alloutdoors

HunterMc23

tomstopper

Quote from: perrytrails on April 22, 2015, 01:03:27 PM
Great birds bud congrats!! I'm glad Ohio was good to ya. Sounds like a great hunt both days!!

I'll get my first day out tomorrow, hope for some luck!
Working the first 3 days of season has about killed me. LOL again congrats...
Good luck brother. Hope to see some pics tomorrow of a big Ohio long beard and you standing behind it.....

Limbstrutter

Awesome story and congratulations on your hunts.
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: tomstopper on April 22, 2015, 12:31:34 PM
Hello everyone. Went to Ohio and hunted the first two days with a guy and it was an awesome time. First morning, we called a bird far off of a ridge (took about two hours and a period of time where we just shut up for 30 mins and it drove him crazy and off the ridge) where he ran towards the strutter decoy and out of pitty for the decoy (it was about to take a major butt whooping), I introduced him to some #5 shot. Bird #1 stats: 19lbs 11oz,3/4in spurs, 9 1/4in beard.
Day two, we arrived onto a pipeline at around 5:30and just got out to listen. At 5:45 a gobbler was gobbling his head off more than any gobbler that I heard before. We were only about 150 yards away so we decided to go around the backside of the ridge and set up about 70 yards from him onto the upper pipeline. During this whole time, he was gobbling like crazy and after a few lite yelps and some scratching in the leaves, he was on the road and coming in. when he got into view and I could tell he was a good one, my 870 ate again. He was tagged and over my shoulder at 6:30 am. Bird #2 stats:22lbs 4oz, 1in spurs, 10.5in beard.
I was packed up and headed back to NY to prepare for this weekends youth season by 9:30am (saved $80 for lodging and two of my vacation days  :z-guntootsmiley:)
nice birds  :drool:

jlewis4390

Glad someone is having ohio luck the weather is horrible and haven't got one gobble all week hopefully with the weather change tomorrow and no high wind it will change things fingers crossed ;)

Bigspurs68

Wonderful! Glad you had a great time in Ohio! Good job and have a great safe season at home.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

beagler

Never Misses

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like an awesome hunt!! :icon_thumright:
Good luck in NY!!! :fud: :gobble:

zelmo1

Good bird, Congrats. Good luck on youth day