turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

i have a ?

Started by otis, April 21, 2015, 10:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otis

if a tom roost in a tree will he roost in the same tree or stay in the same area  and if a hunter  kills him will other toms move in

otis

taylorjones20

I think yes and no...  I have seen them roost in the same tree and also in the same area.  I have killed one that was strutting in a field and then two days later killed another one in the exact same spot.

Then again, I have had birds roosted in an area one morning and haven't seen or heard them there in over two years.

I know I didn't answer your question but these have been my experiences...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Bigeclipse

Quote from: otis on April 21, 2015, 10:18:00 PM
if a tom roost in a tree will he roost in the same tree or stay in the same area  and if a hunter  kills him will other toms move in

otis

I'm a long time deer hunter and only been hunting turkeys 2 years so take this for what it is worth.  Anyways, from my experience both during deer season and turkey season, a good turkey area will typically "ALWAYS" be a good turkey area unless man changes that environment. For example, one corn field I deer hunt on ALWAYS has turkeys on it.  You can count on them being there almost everyday and typically in the same area until someone bumps them off.  The corner field on the neighboring property, rarely has turkeys.  This is going on 10 years now that I have seen this. However, like the poster said above, I have seen turkeys roost in some unusual places and then never see them there again. 

jblackburn

From my experience, Rios will often go back to the same tree or very close day after day if they are not disturbed.  I have found that easterns have preferred roost areas, but I would not say the same tree day after day.  The tom I killed in SE louisiana this year had 3 areas he roosted and almost seemed to rotate them each day.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Mike Honcho

I agree with what jblackburn says and will add ...I hunt Rios and Easterns basically on alternating weekends so I see both regularly.

I think Rios very much tend to roost in one place longer than Easterns do. I think they all change roosts somewhat due to two things:  Predator pressure , animal and predator pressure,  human.

The Easterns I hunt seem to change roosts pretty often and may have two to three places they rotate.

If they always roost in same place I think coyotes and bobcats pattern them pretty quickly.

otis

thank you for all the info  I have the same opinion I was just wanting someone else's thoughts

stinkpickle

They've been moving their roosts every day on me this year.   >:(

Snoodsniper

I see local birds roost in the same area but not necessarily in the same tree. They tend to move their roost to more protected areas in bad weather. I've killed dominant birds then had subordinates gobbling their brains out in the same area a day or two later. I think this is all normal and pretty common.