OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

weird one

Started by bluegill68, April 21, 2015, 05:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluegill68

Today I killed a different bird, he was running with two jakes. He was clearly the dominant bird of the bunch. I passed him at 35 yds as I was sure he was a jake, when he pulled out of strutt and turned I could see a long beard, thin but long. A little work and he closed into 20yds, I killled him Here is the stats 11 1/4 " beard, nubs for spurs, a jake tail fan, and a clear rolling gobble, he weighed 21lbs 1 oz.

Just what the heck did I kill, never come across anything like this one before.

laker

If you hadn't heard it gobble I would almost think a bearded hen? Maybe just a Jake whose beard grew faster than the rest of his body. :newmascot:
Ok after seeing the pic of the head it is most definitely not a hen  :toothy12:

bluegill68

TauntoHawk

Some kind of super jake?!? Early hatch bird with great genetics possibly

I'd probably roll him ask questions later too
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

zelmo1

:funnyturkey: 21 pound jake? He must be eating lead sinkers. Could be a genetic defect in his bloodline. If it is a jake, he is the BOSS DADDY Jake of all time, lol. His days are over now, good job

LaLongbeard

Lovett Williams wrote that the most accurate age est. was spur length you said yours had jake nubs its a jake. The jake tail fan just seals the deal. The fact that he had a mature gobble and a longbeard means he was probably on his way to becoming a record gobbler, its kinda like shooting a buck that would have grown into a 200" booner when he was a 120" yearling.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

bluegill68

I agree I passed him up early but when I saw the beard I gave myself the green light. I'd prolly shoot the 120  :fud:yearling as well

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

guesswho

Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 21, 2015, 07:06:16 PM
Lovett Williams wrote that the most accurate age est. was spur length you said yours had jake nubs its a jake.
Long spurs indicate an older bird.  Short spurs don't necessarily mean a young bird.  Some gobblers never have more than a bump.   I think a lot of birds get aged at two years old because of short rounded spurs when in reality their older.    After looking at your birds beard zoomed in I'd guess he is at least a three year old.  But it's just that, a guess. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Rapscallion Vermilion

It would be interesting to see a picture of the wing coverlets.  That would clinch it for a jake.

MEbeardlover

I think many of us spend way too much time discussing and worrying about this. You killed a turkey. Which is damn hard to do for almost any bird under any circumstances. Congratulations.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Who's worrying?  I think the OP is just curious.  Nothing wrong with that.

silvestris

Doesn't look like an older bird to me, no skullcap.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Snoodsniper

Looks like a couple turkey dinners and a beard for the board. Nothing more nothing less.

mgm1955

No one can tell for sure. If you're happy and it's a legal harvest, all that matters.