turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My Old Man rooked me on a bird

Started by Sixes, April 21, 2015, 04:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixes

Got down to my lease Monday morning and saw tire tracks inside the gate. After parking at camp, I followed them about a half mile in, I saw my Dad's truck parked, walked up and we talked a couple minutes and I told him where I was headed and he said he'd go the other way.

All was quiet until about 815 when I made a call and heard a gobble, I knew where the bird was because I had an encounter with him last Sunday morning and spooked him. Made another call and the bird double gobbled and I could tell he was coming down the road to our gasline. I made one more call to verify and he gobbled and I just sat back and waited.

After about 15 minutes or so, I heard him gobble further away and then a minute or two later, he gobbled again further away. I get up to go and circle around to cut him off, when I heard a BOOM!, really close. My Dad had seen the bird come out on the gasline and start strutting, so he started calling to him and the bird ran straight to the gun barrel. He laughed his butt off when I started cussing him (in fun, of course) and accusing him of cutting me off. He just said that he had outcalled me and laughed!

I got the bird fired up and the Old Man stole my bird away! But, it doesn't matter, I'm just glad to see him at 69 years old, still out killing birds.

23# weighed on scales
11" beard
1 3/8 spurs

Then, I ended my season on these two longbeards.  Hadn't planned to shoot them both, but they came in from 2 directions, both gobbling their fool heads off and happened to meet up about 25 yards from me. They were posturing and circling, about to fight, and when they lined up their heads up, I hit the trigger.

alloutdoors

Congrats! That's a heck of a bird your dad got.

Snoodsniper

Getting beat by dad isn't so bad. Nice bunch of birds! Congrats!

zelmo1

:turkey2: Nice birds, Congrats to you both

redmag

"Grasshopper" he is the teacher (master).  Hope he takes many more for many seasons to come.

Rick Howard

This is what its all about for me.  Time in the woods with family and friends.  Your pops sounds a bit like my pops.  Mine is 70 and ready to go runner around the hills with me for a few weeks. 

LI Outdoorsman

Awesome story..
Hope Im still running around stealing birds from my son at 69!!!!

grayfox

Great bird & story.  It's called Seniority. LOL  :fud:

Frankiecruzer

Awesome story, stories like this this is what it's all about

Semper Fi USMC

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: Sixes on April 21, 2015, 04:08:10 PM
Got down to my lease Monday morning and saw tire tracks inside the gate. After parking at camp, I followed them about a half mile in, I saw my Dad's truck parked, walked up and we talked a couple minutes and I told him where I was headed and he said he'd go the other way.

All was quiet until about 815 when I made a call and heard a gobble, I knew where the bird was because I had an encounter with him last Sunday morning and spooked him. Made another call and the bird double gobbled and I could tell he was coming down the road to our gasline. I made one more call to verify and he gobbled and I just sat back and waited.

After about 15 minutes or so, I heard him gobble further away and then a minute or two later, he gobbled again further away. I get up to go and circle around to cut him off, when I heard a BOOM!, really close. My Dad had seen the bird come out on the gasline and start strutting, so he started calling to him and the bird ran straight to the gun barrel. He laughed his butt off when I started cussing him (in fun, of course) and accusing him of cutting me off. He just said that he had outcalled me and laughed!

I got the bird fired up and the Old Man stole my bird away! But, it doesn't matter, I'm just glad to see him at 69 years old, still out killing birds.

23# weighed on scales
11" beard
1 3/8 spurs

Then, I ended my season on these two longbeards.  Hadn't planned to shoot them both, but they came in from 2 directions, both gobbling their fool heads off and happened to meet up about 25 yards from me. They were posturing and circling, about to fight, and when they lined up their heads up, I hit the trigger.

Nice Turkeys

tomstopper

Rapscallion Vermilion

tman74

A real beauty of a bird and a great story. Congrats to both of you.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mgm1955

Congrats to your dad! Good story!