turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help me choose a spot.

Started by deerbasshunter3, April 21, 2015, 01:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

The first picture has been posted on here, but I did not see any signs (looking at pictures of hen scat, I did see something that looked similar). It just looks like a good place to find turkeys.

The second photo is a spot that I did see turkey tracks, but not as much huntable land. The tracks that I saw were in the dirt that is in the middle of the picture. It is grown up more than it looks around the dirt on the middle of the photo. I think I would have to either setup off to the side of the open dirt in the middle, or on the road that runs through the woods to the left of the dirt spot in the middle.

Snoodsniper

I'd hit both spots. It'll sort it self out. You have to spend time in an area to figure out what's going on.

alloutdoors

I get the feeling you're going about this the wrong way. Unless it's a lot of really fresh gobbler tracks, sitting over a few random tracks is a good way to not see anything. Same goes for trying to pick a specific spot on unfamiliar ground. Setting up in some random opening and hoping a bird comes to you is unlikely to pay off. You need to go in and listen for a bird, your plan needs to be fluid, and you have to work with whatever the bird gives you. Be ready to adapt on the fly. I would also be looking to get a lot farther off a main road on public land. The general area around that first photo looks like it has potential, get out there and follow those creeks and streams and I think you'll find one sooner or later.

deerbasshunter3

I just called the Ranger station for that district and was told there ought to be quite a few birds in that area. I am going to plan to head towards the creek and listen for gobbles at first light. It is open enough due to the recent burn that it should be fairly easy to get around in unknown territory.

101st501

Good luck and give it time.  Public land is not the devil.

Cut N Run

Just because they're using an area one day doesn't mean they'll be there the next.  Your ears should tell you where the gobblers like to travel and roost.  I always seek higher elevation from the surrounding area because you can hear better and turkeys can hear your calls better from it too. It can be a great place to start. Good luck.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.