turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Range finder recommendations?

Started by bamahunter, April 21, 2015, 11:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamahunter

Anyone use a range finder while turkey hunting? I have hunted turkeys for 20 yrs now and not "missed" until this season... ended up being about 53yds away, ugh, still hurts even though I've taken a bird since then. I completely misjudged the distance but realized i was taking a risky shot... that's a feeling I don't want to ever experience again. Thinking of getting a range finder but since I'm not a deer hunter either, never been in the market for one (don't need em for ducks and doves, ha). Anyone have recommendations?

alloutdoors

I carry a Nikon Riflehunter 550 and am very happy with it. It's nice and compact, lightweight, and easy to operate with one hand.

Dr Juice

Dtrkyman

Chilly

Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

Tennessee Lead

I bought my first a Rangefinder this year for deer season and have attached it to my Turkey vest. It's great for quickly ranging a few trees to know the distance.
I got the Bushnell Truth caught it on sale for $149 on Amazon

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Wolfey

zelmo1

:funnyturkey:Simmons, got it on Amazon. Really good deal, I like it so far. I did the same thing you did last year, but I got lucky and stoned him. Still gave me a bad feeling so I went ouy and got a range finder. Never happen again. Good luck, Al Baker

turkey_slayer

kjnengr

Quote from: alloutdoors on April 21, 2015, 01:20:58 PM
I carry a Nikon Riflehunter 550 and am very happy with it. It's nice and compact, lightweight, and easy to operate with one hand.

Same here.  I use mine for bow hunting as well so I appreciate the angle compensation feature. 

grayfox

Been using the Leupold RX-1000i TBR for about 3 seasons now.  Use it for bow & turkey hunting.  Great rangefinder with pretty nice optics.  On sale for $300 at Cabela's.  I've been very pleased with mine.  If you want the best go with Leica but for just turkey hunting you can get by much cheaper.

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: mlisandro on April 21, 2015, 01:33:10 PM
A Nikon is my choice.
I've got the wildgame halo it works great, and it won't break the wallet either.

NJGobblerHunter

I also bought my first rangefinder this deer season. I got the Nikon Riflehunter 1000 on ebay for $175. It was a great price. Good luck!

mgm1955

Quote from: Wolfey on April 21, 2015, 04:25:41 PM
Really like my leupold.
Agree. Owned Bushnell and Nikon as well. IMO opinion Leupold is the best.

bamahunter

Wow, some great suggestions here so I appreciate all the responses!

I was looking for a common theme to pop from the responses but it appears folks have good experiences with all the major brands and as grayfox alluded to, I'm just hunting turkeys so I only need to be able to mark trees/birds within 50yds.

I'm an engineer and I'm "thrifty" (nicer word for "cheap") so that means I usually overthink every purchase  :-[