turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How far can they hear?

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 21, 2015, 08:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

When a person is making soft clucks and purrs, how far can a turkey hear that call when it is calm and hunting in an open hardwoods or field?

strutnrut

I know that this isn't the answer you are looking for. But a lot futher than I can hear them. On flat ground open field I have had birds gobble at me from 800 to a 1000 yards at a regular clucks and yelps. They be so far away all you heard was a whop whop whop sound. Soft yelps and clucks at least 500 yards. I called in two Saturday with soft clucks from 200 yards out in a field. I clucked they looked and here they came. Couple years ago I  called in a group of 7 toms from 800 plus yards. They were on a patch of green grass I circled set up in a wood lot and called them to the gun. Took a long time crossing the fields but it worked. They do seem to hear a suckon call or a box call further away.

SCGobbler

I killed one last Monday in a pasture that slopes down hill for about 3-400 yards.  When the other three took off and flew down hill, they started calling to each other at a normal tone level.  I could hear them all the way at the top of the pasture.

My point is, I think they can hear a long ways off.  Will Primos' mantra of "Calling too much and calling too loud" holds true. 

When they are 300 yards off in a field, you don't have to blow their ears off.  Watch their posture as you call when they are that far away with binos and I bet you will be able to tell if they heard you or not.

Sent from the Gobbled's Roost, formerly the Totem Pole Headquarters

The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Greg Massey

I was always told if you can hear them ... they can hear you and I have always believe that...killed a  lot of turkeys coming in from a long ways off. Main thing is if he has hens or not. Hopefully not...lol

howl

Soft stuff I would put at 400 yards under the right conditions, maybe farther.

Ms Vapors

They can see you blink at 100 yards and hear you blink at 50, that's what I was told starting out anyway!!

steinea286

I just got back from hunting the virginia mountains and had birds gobbling to us scratching the leaves about 300-350 yards away.... on the next ridgetop over!

guesswho

A lot farther than most people realize.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

CT Spur Collector

For my two cents...I agree with all these folks. In Florida one year, I called two toms to the gun barrel that were well over 500 yards away.  Both came together through two pasture fields with a tractor cut between them.

Their hearing is as amazing as their sight. What's really cool is....they'll "pinpoint" you within 15 yards from 500 yards!

Amazing critter! 

strutnrut

I agree with the pin pointing ability. I have moved from one tree to the other after calling because of the setup and had them walk right to the tree I was just at more than once.

Snoodsniper

500 yards through thick woods down over a steep bank had one walk right by a decoy and pin point me.

wisconsinteacher

I guess I need to tone it down a touch. 

TrackeySauresRex

^ This has worked for me in the past,a time or two. If he is responsive, and a good ways off. I hit him with it loud. If he wants to play,I'm always toning it down as he is closing the distance. Within that last hundred yards... A Very soft yelp,clucks,purring,feeding calls. That's the kitchen sink!  ;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Gulicemo

Had a bird last weekend gobbling every time I scratched the leaves from over a hundred yards out.  That is the first time I've had that happen.  He flew across a gully to about 50 yards but still out of sight.  He gobbled when I brushed some dirt which was very quiet and came the final 10 yards into the open.

Greybeard11

I agree. They can hear very soft sounds from a long ways, but what always amazes me is their ability to pinpoint where the sound came from. Always start soft and increase volume. When you get a response you know he heard you.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."  -John Wayne