OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good or better

Started by Clif Owen, April 20, 2015, 10:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clif Owen

Got a question for you guys. At what point (score) do you think a bird steps up from a nice bird to a real nice bird? I'm not talking about record book score here (I know those are truly trophies) but the level(s) below that. Obviously, a jake doesn't qualify and a 2 year old probably won't but a good 3 year old might. I see some birds posted here with scores in high 60's and low 70's. I would guess they are monsters. Or am I just overthinking it?
I mean, I see 120" 8 points as a nice buck, a 140" ten point as a true monster here. I know in other areas of the country, that is a nice buck, not a monster.

born2hunt

When I pull the trigger he qualifies as a real nice bird. :funnyturkey:
Ive never even scored one.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

trkehunr93

Quote from: born2hunt on April 20, 2015, 11:06:15 PM

I concur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

scores mean absolutely nothing to me. every bird I shoot is a trophy to me , some are just bigger. what makes them trophies to me , is being able to replay hunts in my head. the memories is what drives me in this sport. beards and spurs are the bonus. when I look at those , the memories all come rolling in like it happened yesterday.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TauntoHawk

Most of the birds that I hunt 2yr olds fall somewhere in the 50's so I consider 60 good, 65 real good and 70+ is monster. I'll kill any mature bird if it was a good hunt the big ones are just bonus.

We score them because we have a little friendly competition between our group of hunting buddies.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

kjnengr

Quote from: born2hunt on April 20, 2015, 11:06:15 PM

x3

I like big spurs, but the trophy is the memory and being able to get the bird. 

Muzzy61

One of the many things I love about turkey hunting is most people aren't obsessed with scoring. Most are more about the overall hunt. If I kill a big bird, I might score him out of curiosity, but rarely mention it when describing the hunt or bird.   The what did he score mentality of current day deer hunting has turned me off. Still love to deer hunt, but really don't care to discuss.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Muzzy61 on April 21, 2015, 10:04:06 AM
One of the many things I love about turkey hunting is most people aren't obsessed with scoring. Most are more about the overall hunt. If I kill a big bird, I might score him out of curiosity, but rarely mention it when describing the hunt or bird.   The what did he score mentality of current day deer hunting has turned me off. Still love to deer hunt, but really don't care to discuss.
:icon_thumright:   Well said.

Greg Massey

Its about putting in the time and hunting who cares about the score. With the price of meat these days the trophy is up to you. Good hunting.

dutch@fx4

I have shot some very big toms one had two beards a 10 inch and a 9 inch both thick and heavy with 1,5 inch spurs but I never scored a bird in my life ,,I just look for the toms that come in running to kick the snot out of my pretty boy decoy ,,thems the big boys Dutch

jblackburn

If they have a full fan.

That being said, I have killed a couple jakes that I was proud of, they were either a tough acting bird early in my career or a slump breaker.  They tasted just as good!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Dr Juice

A nice bird is a dead bird ... and a real nice bird is a deader bird! All taste good to me. :z-guntootsmiley:

tomstopper

Quote from: jblackburn on April 21, 2015, 01:02:55 PM
If they have a full fan.

That being said, I have killed a couple jakes that I was proud of, they were either a tough acting bird early in my career or a slump breaker.  They tasted just as good!
I agree with the full fan. I always can't wait to go over and roll him over and see the size of his beard and spurs. It's like being a kid at Christmas and seeing what the present has in it for me. The memories and this excitement is how I "score" my birds not actual measurements

surehuntsalot

If I'm lucky enough to "win" the game that morning and he comes home with me, that is a great bird to me.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

spencerhoosier

Any bird is a nice bird. To kill a turkey is a great thrill and accomplishment. I am happy each time it happens and never bothered to score one, nor do I want to start. I think that would start to take the fun out of it for me. I relate it to how I view fishing. A friend and I went out fishing one time and we were catching quite a few. My buddy looks over at me and says "I've caught x amount of fish, how many have you caught." I told him, "I have no idea." I was out there to enjoy myself and could care less if he caught more than me or vice versa. It wasn't a competiton to me and hope it never becomes one. Same with turkey hunting.