OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ninja Hens and Spinning Decoys

Started by TeamCF, April 20, 2015, 09:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeamCF

5th day straight of roosting birds and waking up at 4am can take its toll as I am sure all of you can relate. That alarm went off and it took a lot of will power to not roll over and make it go away. The particular chunk of private I have not hunted in the morning yet and while I know there are 2 nice gobblers and a group of hens in the area I am also not 100% sure of there roosting location. I decide that I am gonna setup bmobile with 2 hen decoys to try and get their attention. As I am walking into the field off an old road I hear him sound off. Probably 50 yards up the hill but luckily its still pitch black and I got another 50yds to walk downhill as quiet as possible. I set the decoys up and settle in for a good 30 minutes listen the two birds go back and forth. I make a few tree yelps and fly down cackle with a standing ovation from the two toms. Most of the hens have a different plan however and they fly down a good 80 yards from my setup and make camp with the 2 big strutters right in the middle. My mind begins to race with the possibility they saw me walk in or any number of reason why they wouldny come through the field to me. About this time a single hen pitches out of the tree right in the middle of my set. She stands there for a good minute staring down my HS Suzie Snood when to my surprise she begins pecking, biting, kicking and brawling with my decoy. This decoy is spinning like a top as its taking her abuse. I am holding back laughter at this point when a both toms are running full strut and gobbling like mad with a line of hens right behind them to my setup. With a few clucks I got the biggest toms head up and ended a great hunt. I have never seen a hen act like that and this is my 14th season. I know boss hens get aggravated but to fight like she was is something else. I really wish I had a go pro. DSD and Avian X Decoys are really nice and all but I have had great success with these Suzie Snoods the last 3 seasons this thing has been apart of 8 long beard kills and a few more jake kills between me and my brother/father. This is not to say those other brands aren't amazing just if you are on a budget I cant say anything bad about the Suzie Snood.

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

TeamCF

Thanks! Its been a good opening weekend so far. 2 tags filled one more to go!

Mike Honcho

Good hunt and great story,Thanks for posting this.Congrats

tman74

Great story. I love it when a hen comes in ready to kick butt. I had a hen break the beak and snood off my old hard bodied dsd upright hen a couple years ago. Congrats on getting your bird.

Dtrkyman

Love it, I use a mounted hen and she gets that treatment multiple times every year!  love it when I am bowhunting and have bids linger around her at under 10 yards for sometimes half an hour, I can not tell you how many times the lead hen coming in has paid off, twice this year already!

TeamCF

Same with me. My first hunt the head lead the gobbler right up the hill she wasnt quite as mad but I was 1 upping her every call. Led a nice 2 year old right in front of my gun. Its been kind of a tough year not a lot of birds on public mostly private and a lot of the private wont let us hunt. Anyone have something they say to landowners that gets them access more times then not?

mgm1955

Great story, thanks for sharing. Congrats!!