turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1187 help

Started by hammerbaits, April 20, 2015, 07:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerbaits

for years I shot a max gobbler with an inexpensive undertaker .660. I found everything gave acceptable patterns but the lest few years shot Winchester elite htl #6's only and that combo worked great killed lots of birds from 12 yards to 40 at least. Last year I traded that gun for an 1187 sp turkey. bought an indian creek .665 and cannot get a good pattern using the winnys. even tried longbeards and federal nuttin!

SCDieselDawg

are you shooting at a big piece of paper? That Indian Creek should be putting up really good #s with LongBeards.

hammerbaits

yes I have been using a 4ft square piece, patterned better with longbeards then the elites but still a lot of 2 plus inch holes and only 50 or so pellets in a ten inch circle.

Oconeeguy

Birdyblaster

You might try calling Indian Creek and see what they recommend.  Their customer service has a very good reputation.  You might also try some different chokes and see what happens.  Before that though, if you haven't done so already, make sure your barrel and everything is tight.  50 in a 10 with LB is terrible and you should be able to get better than that through a rusty water pipe so that makes me think there could be something else going on with it.

Deputy 14

Try a different choke. I'd say that's %100 of your problem. Prob nothing wrong with the choke other than your gun doesn't like it.

hammerbaits

that is shooting with a clean barrel I have checked everything to ensure all is tight. I agree poor performance, I will try the folks at IC see if they have any suggestions. From what I have read the heavishot blends work well with my setup but here in Ontario they are hard to come by and $50 for 5. I do know my cheap old undertaker works better then my IC in this setup, I tried a .660 Remington ventilator with #6 longbeards and it was better for sure.

Browning85

I shoot an 1187 with an Indian creek, and something is going on with your setup. I think I had 227 LB #6's in 10" circle at 40. I shot shot #4's with pretty good results as well.

FL-Boss

Shoot HEVI 13 #7 and don't fight it anymore. I have the same set up and shoot 300 -330 in a 10in @ 40 yards...   IC, Jelly head .660 or .665 was also great.

TKE921

Definitely something going on that Rem or IC need to address.  My 11-87 with a 665 IC just put 258 in 10" at 40 with 3" LB #6s

I get between 215 and 240 out of 3"  Hevi #7  in the 10" and another 212 to 220 in the 20"

On a dirty barrel I will get mid 160's out of the Hevi #7

How tight is your cap?  My gun likes the cap  to be cranked as tight as I can by hand and then 1 more click with pliers.

hammerbaits

I gave the cap one more gentle channel lock turn definitely helped still gonna to try a 660

BABS9

I shoot an 11-87 with a hevi shot choke and get great results with magnum blends and Hevi #6. Im shooting the Hevi #6's right now. My brother shoots LB #5 out of his 11-87 with a jelly head choke and has great patterns as well.

lowoctane

:morning:
             11-87's like a tight cap...
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Scout24

I shoot an older 3 1/2" 11/87 and typically get 160-180 at 40 with Hevi 13 6's with a Hevi Shot choke, a couple groups in the low 200's. It was deep  cleaned but didn't see much difference. Shot one WW Longbeard, 2 ounce 6's and got 255 @ 40, best group ever, but the shot snapped that 4" wishbone spring that holds the bolt shut into 3 pieces, now at the gunsmith's. Good luck.