OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A couple of Osceolas down

Started by OLE RASPY, March 26, 2011, 12:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLE RASPY

To make a long story short me and my buddy killed a couple osceolas march 23 2011.When we got to camp we unpacked and shot the bull with a bunch of guys pretty much all day wedsnday,and that evening the owner said if we wanted to we could start a day early and go that afternoon of course we jumped at that.I went with one guide and my buddy went with the other guide on swamp buggys.Got to one spot and got off and walked a good ways to an area that held turkey and wasnt nothin there.Turned around walking back and one sounded off on his own and the guide said hes back there in that green field so we take off walking and get bout 300 yards from him and he gobbles again.So we sat up.The guide sat out a b-mobile decoy and made a few calls on his slate call and he sounded off again even closer.So we went silent.Hes coming and coming fast.He hasnt even seen b mobile yet.Hes hot.He gets bout 80 yards and i finally can see him.Beard swinging.My hearts racing by now.He sees b mobile and starts strutting sideways and spitting and drumming.And starts coming in even faster.He gets 25 yards and i let the gun roar. We ran out there to get him and pick him up and he is a dandy for an osceola. He walks back (seem like it tookem forever)to get the swamp buggy and we load up the bird and gear and he takes me on a tour of the ranch.Anyway we get back to camp and its getting dark by now and my buddy finally returns right at dark and he killed a good one to.I never even heard him shoot and he never heard me shoot either.This place is 10,000 acreas so he was on one end and i was on the other end.While we were hunting the other guys in camp that were there before us that has already killed there turkeys they went catfishing in the spillway on the ranch and caught a good mess of fish.So we ate good that night.We had fried catfish,turkey breast,turtle,potatoes and ribeye steak and corn on the cob.This camp dont have electricity but has running water from a well and we used laterns to see by.They have a wood stove and propane to cook with and it was a hellava meal.We stayed the night in a little cabin with bunk beds in it and got up the next morning and got our turkeys back out of the cooler to take pics of them real quick as it was getting dark when we got back to camp the night before so we couldnt take pics.The guides went hunting for themselves that morning as they were leaving camp that day to and killed a bird a piece.It was a heckava trip and we enjoyed it.Had a lot of fun and excitement.And it was beuatiful down there to.85 degrees sunshining and when we got back home that night it was 39 degrees here and cold.Looked at my buddy and said man we shouldve stayed down there this weather sucks  :lol:   Heres a few pics of our trip and our birds.
Stats of my bird.Beard-10"  Weight-18 pounds    Spurs-1.250 and 1.1875

Im on the left with my bird

Pics of the swamp buggys and one of the guides with the turks they killed that morning.

Pic of the spillway

Loading up and headed for home

RutnNStrutn

That's awesome Jerrod!!! I'm glad you guys had a successful hunt down here in our state. :icon_thumright:
It's a beautiful state.............when you are out in the boonies like y'all were. Don't brag about the weather though, it gots hot and miserable down here, and when it does, we wish for weather like y'all had when you got home!! :lol:
Sorry we couldn't hook up while you were down here, but I hope to meet you some other time. Go Team Osceola!!! :chucknorris: :you_rock:

FLGobstopper

Another congrats from a fellow Floridian! Those are some beautiful pics and they tell a great story.  :icon_thumright: Hope ya get to make it back some time.

Basser69

TURKEYWHACKER

Congrats to the both of you guys.  :z-guntootsmiley: Glad you had a successful hunt and all around good time. Hope to get #1 on the ground Sunday morning myself at a central Florida WMA. Go Team Osceola.  :you_rock:

nctrkyhntr

catdaddy

Hey man--that is all good!!  Love the pics!

marshboy

turkey slayer

jake slayer

Cool pics Congrats to the both of you!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

PANYHunter

Congrats!!! Thanks for the story and great pics  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

JVA54

Jay

:icon_thumright: Way to getrdone. 6 days, and I hope I can match your success.

chatterbox

trkycaller