OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Barrel dilemma

Started by mikejd, April 19, 2015, 02:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejd

Ok, I put this in general because I know more people will see it.

Well I bought a barrel that I wanted from someone and lets say that maintenance was poor. He had a choke stuck in the barrel. Looked to be due to fouling so I figured I can still get it out. After I took a close look I noticed that he must have tried some channel locks or something because of some deep scratches in the barrel. No big deal I will get them out and my plan was to have the barrel dipped. Here is were it goes from bad to worse. I was holding the barrel down against some wood hoping to not put anymore gouges in the metal and I was trying to get the choke out with a pipe wrench. At this point the choke was collateral damage and not a worry of mine. Well apparently I am stronger then I expected and this happened. Does anyone know if a gunsmith could replace this.

owlhoot

mikejd

Thanks hoot, My thoughts exactly.

If it wasnt a barrel thats hard to come by I would just have let it go.

allaboutshooting

What kind of barrel is it?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

owlhoot

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 19, 2015, 02:31:27 PM

Thanks,
Clark
Other than a broke one :TrainWreck1: Ouch

mikejd

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 19, 2015, 02:31:27 PM

Thanks,
Clark

Winchester 1300 short. 18"

loner

i had a 30" barrel on my brwg a-500g and wanted it cut to 22.5" and custom turkey tube installed.i sent it to carlson's choke tubes.the address is:720 south second street
                po box 162
                atwood,ks 67730
785-626-3700 or 785-626-3078
they do excellent work and are very reasonable.give them a call.  ;)
just an ole' retired man that still believes in values,and common courtesy.

Mike Honcho

mikejd

Quote from: Mike Honcho on April 19, 2015, 03:32:31 PM
Toast.

Pretty sure. However it seems to be a cast part and attached the same way that the ramps are attached.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: mikejd on April 19, 2015, 03:36:23 PM
Quote from: Mike Honcho on April 19, 2015, 03:32:31 PM
Toast.

Pretty sure. However it seems to be a cast part and attached the same way that the ramps are attached.

It's probably silver soldered to the barrel. I'd recommend that you contact John Mann @ Mann & Son Sporting Goods (Since 1946) @ 618.357.2911 and speak to John. He'll be able to tell you if that can be replaced.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

10gaugemag

Since you are going to get it dipped finish wont matter.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=winchester+1300+barrel&_sacat=0

With that being weak before you got the barrel and the tube being stuck I would be suspect of what else the barrel has wrong and what type of maintenance or lack there of the poor thing ever had.

mikejd

Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 19, 2015, 06:25:39 PM
Since you are going to get it dipped finish wont matter.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=winchester+1300+barrel&_sacat=0

With that being weak before you got the barrel and the tube being stuck I would be suspect of what else the barrel has wrong and what type of maintenance or lack there of the poor thing ever had.

I wish it was as easy as Ebay since I spend half my day on there. The 18" winchoke barrel is never around. Other wise I would not have this one. As for the barrel. After I got the choke out and cleaned it up all looks great now. It was simply lack of cleaning. Looks like the gun was put away after a range visit and never used again. He said he didnt care it was stuck because it was a good choke and it was all he needed.

Clark, Thanks for the advice I will give him a shout.

Greg Massey

That's sad all it would of took is a little maintenance for that barrel to last a life time.  Good luck on getting it fix.

mikejd

I spoke to both john Mann and loners suggestion of Carlson this morning
Carlsons said that it can be replaced however they did not have the lug that I needed and to call around to see if one can be located.

I guess that's at least hopeful.

Anymore suggestions would be great. I will be calling some of the local smiths in my area.

ol bob

A good machinst can make you one