OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Called in one for my girl today!!

Started by RutnNStrutn, March 25, 2011, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

My girlfriend and I opened our Florida seasons today on a WMA that we know well. We went down to our usual listening post and heard 3 gobblers nearby, but they were all on private property. She was toting the gun, and I had a video camera. We got set up in a travel area that these birds always use and waited them out.
They gobbled for about an hour or so, then they went silent. Around 08:40 they gave us a couple of courtesy gobbles and were about 300 yards out in front of us in the woods. I called and they gobbled back, so I shut up. About 10 minutes later, my girl said she saw a turkey fly over the fence between public and private. A couple of minutes later I saw a turkey walk in. He was a gobbler and right behind him was another gobbler!! :icon_thumright:
They walked in, but did not commit, and ended up skirting our deke setup and went by just out of range. As they walked away, I called to them but they ignored it. Finally, they were about 200 yards away and about to head into the woods. I couldn't see them, but my girl could. She told me to "call like crazy", after all, what did we have to lose at that point??
So I started cutting on my diaphragm, while doing a fighting purr on my glass call. Next thing you know, the two toms were gobbling, and my girl said, "They are coming back!!" Although I couldn't see them, she kept me informed of their progress. They ran in for 200 yards, finally slowing down as they came in to the dekes. At that point they walked into my field of view and I was videoing. I continued cutting and they were gobbling their butts off on video!! :you_rock: They walked up to BMobile but shyed away, still not wanting a fight. As they turned to walk away, putting, I told my girl to shoot. She did just that, and 1 of the gobblers went down!!! :fud:  :newmascot:
She jumped up and ran out to claim her gobbler!! :turkey2:
I've got some awesome video of it all, but it took me a while to figure out how to get the good parts complied. I finally did it though, and it's on another thread.

StruttinGobbler3

John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

huntinhard

Nice. Can't help with the video but look forward to seeing it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OLE RASPY

hobbes

I'm assuming you don't have sophisticated editing software or you wouldn't have asked.  I don't either.    Here is the little bit I know.  Anyone feel free to correct me.

If its a wmv you can edit it with windows movie maker.  Just open the document with it and its pretty easy to figure out.   If its a mov file, I believe you'll have to edit with Quicktime if you have the full version.

Uploading to youtube is simply a matter of opening an account and selecting your file to upload.  Once it is uploaded you can do a small amount of editing with youtube.  If there is only a few minutes in the middle you want to keep, I believe you can drag a bar in from the left to cut the front portion off and drag it in from the right to cut the end off and only save what you want to show.  Do all this once in the editing mode.  Once the edit is ok'd by youtube, delete the original from youtube and post the link.

Oh yeah...........congrats on the bird.

FLGobstopper

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Congrats to ya'll on an exciting hunt. I've read some of ya'lls reports from this area over the years and ya'll sure have that place wired. Good luck filling the rest of your tags with some more long spurred oseola's, eastern's or where ever else ya'll may be hunting.

Basser69

handcannon

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Odessa

Pretty neat story - congratulations!
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

nctrkyhntr

turkey slayer

TnHunter

Life is good today

jake slayer

flintlock

She will not soon forget that!   :you_rock:
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!