Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What to do if you miss a bird?...?.....?....?

Started by aaron.haverfield@gmail.co, April 18, 2015, 08:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron.haverfield@gmail.co

So here's my problem guys,

I took my brother hunting this morning and he got a little I'm patient with the trigger. With out me saying anything he tried a 60 yard shot and miss the old gobbler 3 times. So question is should we try again on the same property tomorrow or just scratch the weekend?

spaightlabs

Depends how big the property is and how many other toms you have to work with.
That bird is probably boogered for a bit, but might not be if he was super hot and if he didn't take any pellets.  Other birds on the property didn't experience anything other than 3 thunder claps.

Gone have to treaty your bro like Barney Fife.  One bullet.  It stays in his pocket til you tell him to load up.

outdoors

HEY ,, A FREIND OF MINE AND A FREIND OF HIS WENT AND HUNTED THESE GOBLERS                   
>ON PUBLIC LAND <
AND ONE OF THE BIRDS TOOK OFF AND THE FREIND OF FREIND WENT AFTER UM AND SAW HIM ON A FIRE BRAKE AND SHOT M THE BIRD ROLLED OVER AND THEN FLEW AWAY ,, TWO DAYS LATER ANOTHER FREIND HUNTED THE SAME AREA AND GOT A NICE GOBBLER WITH PELLET WOUNDS IN AND AROUND THE LEGS , SAME BIRD .... YES HUNT IT AGAIN ....  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

snapper1982

At that distance I doubt he missed. More likely he hit the bird with some pellets. I say try again. Only way to kill a bird is to be out there. I have seen birds completely leave the area after being shot at and I have seen them right back the same day.

callmakerman

If it were me and the property big enough I would hunt another part property and leave him alone for a week or so. If this is the only bird sounding off then I would hit him from another direction other than where you shot at him. JMO

aaron.haverfield@gmail.co

Thanks guy,

I just don't know what to do. It's really the only property we have that has any toms on it. There are only two out there and both were in the group we had coming in this morning. I pretty he at least got a few pellets in him from the old sumtoy and the 3 longbread 6's he ripped off. Never realy had time to get the call working before he shot, so they weren't to fired up. Though they both were strutting to us with the hens. The one he shot flew off and the other ran off.

stinkpickle

Quote from: aaron.haverfield@gmail.co on April 18, 2015, 09:42:17 AM
...It's really the only property we have that has any toms on it...

Then it looks like you'll have to hunt it again.  ;)

Dtrkyman

Missed a bird Thursday, hit a sapling, killed one Friday 125 yards from that spot!  depends on the property, there were 6-10 birds hammering on the roost in that area!

nativeks

I missed one last year. Killed him a few days later within 30 yards of where I missed the first time. Don't give up.

TrackeySauresRex

I would go back out and shoot some paper to see if the gun is on. Put a target out and give him the confidence he needs. Then remind him of our limitations. Good luck when you get out again.  :turkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

101st501

I would try him again, but very delicately.

Snoodsniper

I'd give it a day or so and go back. Don't use the same set up....try them from a little different location. In the mean time go ask for some permission. See if you can find another place to hunt.

TRG3

If you don't have a better place to try, I'd go back since there's probably more than one gobbler in that area. If it were me, I'd probably try some different calls just in case he remembers the bad experience from answering the calls previously used. I'd also set up in another spot, if possible. While I'm not aware of any research regarding such, it would make me feel more confident by changing things.

MDSTRUTNRUT

A few years back I shot a bird with Federal premium 3" 6's, well thats a whole different story but anyways after the first shot and he went running so I let him have 2 more with no dead gobbler.  I even brought my lab back and looked over the woods and marsh finding feathers to suggest he flew the creek.   It was a monster bird that stood taller than all the other toms with a much bigger fan so my patience was tested and I lost.   That being said the farmer killed him the next week following hens in the same 4 acre secluded field.    He had my purple spots with those shot under them all over him especially his back, I guess when he was running the heck outta there.    He was the dominant bird and those hens wouldnt leave so he came right back, even tho he had been peppered.  Give him a break if you want but I say GO HUNT HIM!    Weighed 25# HAD 1-1/2 SPURS AND 2 ROPES ON A DOUBLE BEARD!   Farmer called me to look at him then took him to check station checked him in and left him then gave him away to a standerby.    truestory  LOL

chatterbox

I usually swear..... a lot! :toothy12:
In all seriousness, I would get back in there, and go after him.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.