OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New 20ga

Started by slayerrd, April 17, 2015, 01:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slayerrd

I've narrowed it down to a benelli m2 and a franchi affinity. Should I be concerned with the poa\poi on the benelli? I've read some bad reviews on this. I would like to just use a bead. I do not want to put sights on the gun.

Britton40

Held a SX3, Franchi, and M2 today. I'm getting the SX3.

gophert

Quote from: slayerrd on April 17, 2015, 01:31:36 PM
I've narrowed it down to a benelli m2 and a franchi affinity. Should I be concerned with the poa\poi on the benelli? I've read some bad reviews on this. I would like to just use a bead. I do not want to put sights on the gun.

I would only be concerned if it doesn't shoot POA.  I have a hard time paying that much for something and it not shooting where I point it.  Don't over look the Stoeger M3020 as well and is in the same price range or maybe cheaper as the Affinity. 

alloutdoors

Quote from: gophert on April 17, 2015, 03:53:04 PM
I would only be concerned if it doesn't shoot POA.  I have a hard time paying that much for something and it not shooting where I point it.  Don't over look the Stoeger M3020 as well and is in the same price range or maybe cheaper as the Affinity.

This would make sense if we were talking a fixed choke gun, but considering that POI of two turkey chokes can vary 6" or more at 40 yards from the same gun it seems silly to me. Not to mention different shells affecting POI as well.

slayerrd

Quote from: Britton40 on April 17, 2015, 03:27:30 PM
Held a SX3, Franchi, and M2 today. I'm getting the SX3.

I've heard really good things about the sx3 also. The only thing I didn't like was the weight compared to the benelli or franchi. The main reason for me getting a 20 is a lighter gun.

slayerrd

Quote from: alloutdoors on April 17, 2015, 04:16:03 PM

Quote from: gophert on April 17, 2015, 03:53:04 PM

This would make sense if we were talking a fixed choke gun, but considering that POI of two turkey chokes can vary 6" or more at 40 yards from the same gun it seems silly to me. Not to mention different shells affecting POI as well.

So it's more of a choke problem? Not a benelli problem? I've just always heard that benelli has bad poa/poi problems.

alloutdoors

I wouldn't even call it a problem, it just is what it is. Turkey guns with ultra tight chokes are in some ways utilized a lot more like rifles than shotguns. Anyone who has ever sighted in a rifle knows that if you start changing variables you are probably going to change POI, even just changing primers can make a difference. Same idea with a turkey gun.

Just last weekend I helped a friend sight in his 835. He was using Longbeard 5's and had a couple chokes to try. He had a Truglo that was throwing a nice pattern but it was 4-5" high and he didn't have any more adjustment on his fiber optic sights. We tried the factory full just to see what it would do and it put up nearly the same pattern and POI was dead on.

Ranger007

My M2 was shooting too high for my liking when I first got it. With IC .555.

I put a Champion EasyHit® Shotgun Sporting Sight 3mm x 5" Sport Bead on it and it corected about a 5-7" high POI TO POA

With a Trulock fed HW choke it was much better POI TO POA without the sight.

WV Ridge Reaper

It is a shame when you spend that much on a gun and it won't shoot where you aim...but the Benelli's are made for wing shooting and sporting clays.

I already had a m2 12 and wanted a 20,so of course I shouldered the m2 20 and the affinity..The affinity is a very nice gun especially for the money.

I got the m2 tho...The spring assembly in the forearm of the affinity is what turned me away.

I don't see that affinity shooting any better POI/POA wise since it's made by benelli.

Best I can tell you is buy one and if you have problems throw a larger bead on it like someone said...Mine shot way high and I fixed it with truglo gobble dot sights.

Which ever one you get just remember you have a very very reliable gun that you won't even notice your carrying on a hot spring morning..at that point you say to your self "man I'm glad I didn't buy a boat anchor"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gophert

Those Benellis are super nice guns.  But why would you pay 1400 and then settle for a gun that doesn't shoot true.  It just doesn't make sense.  If I paid 300 I could understand it but not for that kind of money.  Yes...chokes can cause a little change in POA/POI...but I've heard some being off a foot.  I would send it back until they made it right. 

Sent from my typewriter

Dtrkyman

If I remember correctly the sx3 is nearly as heavy as a 12 bore, I would pick the lightest weight gun of the bunch, Benelli probably has stock adjustment, fit of the gun will have major impact on poi/poa!

My sbe2 shoots perfectly straight!   

slayerrd

I guess I'll take a look at some adjustable sights if need be. I've just always tried to stay away from them because I'm afraid I'll lose my zero while walking around in the brush.

NCTURKEYHUNTER

my m2 20 shoots poi\poa with all chokes ive tried. settled on sumtoy 562-5 and federal hw 7.

NCTURKEYHUNTER

m2 also was poa\poi with tss #9 and carlsons choke