turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Will There Ever Be "The One"

Started by Footballer, April 16, 2015, 09:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footballer

I can't stop buying pot calls. Even when I find one that meets all my needs, I still get the itch to buy another. I don't think I'll ever be happy with just 2-3 calls even if they are proven killers.

I've also found out that I'm not as happy with a call unless it is "popular" and a call that lots of people recommend. Don't know why.

The search continues...

scoot12

its called being a callaholic,  I have it and have seeked help,  I am having relapses though and lately been buying some calls.  Lol  you can never have to many calls.  Scoot

Thundermtn

Yes there is most definitely "the one" but I've not found it yet. Hopefully in another 30-40 years I'll find it. I'd be in better shape if it wasn't for my abundance of strikers. Sound of the call, ease of getting the exact sound you want on the first stoke really, how good it looks really complicate my choices.

I don't need to have a popular call though if I like the tune it plays it goes to the vest. My popularity runs from a call that's $10 in a fiberboard pot from the big name big box retailers to guys that have a wait list over a year long. If it make the exact sound I want it to it doesn't matter who made it.

JLH

Haha.....i know exactly what you mean....even when a call has everything, maybe, just make another call will hit that special note....

I had the same problem with bows....even when I had one that would shoot as good as it gets, I'd have to buy another....
at one point I had 6 bows, and 3 were exactly the same...

It's called o.c.d.....and it's wonderful if you embrace it!

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Footballer

I keep thinking there is a call out there that will pull a gobble out of any turkey, any time. I must not rest until I find it...

Big Guy

I hope there isn't.  I find the search most enjoyable!

SteelerFan

Actually, that's part of the fun (and sometimes frustration). Searching for, and finding "The One" - but knowing you'd like to have another "The One" that sounds just as good, but slightly different than the first "The One". Then, when you have two of "The One" s - you believe that surely this other call your looking at and reading great things about has to be a "The One" also! Start factoring striker combos into "The One" equations... and the possibilities are endless!

Not to mention, a lot of this desire is fueled by the "NOT The Ones" that now sit idly by because you can't stroke a note out of it that sounds satisfactory to what you have deemed acceptable.

:newmascot:

letinmfly

The Ones yes but never the One!!  Too many good ones for there only to be one!!  That speaks volumes about the number of quality callmakers out there today.  Hats off to them!!  :icon_thumright:
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

perrytrails

My name Is Bill, and I have a problem ...

There I said it, now back to the classified section.

It's addicting, at least you guys know what I'm saying.

You love it or you don't. The search never ends

KentuckyHeadhunter

Hello. My name is Allen and I'm a callaholic. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Footballer

Welcome, Bill and Allen. We are glad to have you...

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: perrytrails on April 16, 2015, 10:09:32 PM
My name Is Bill, and I have a problem ...

There I said it, now back to the classified section.

It's addicting, at least you guys know what I'm saying.
lol, Agreed->

You love it or you don't. The search never ends
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

jakesdad

"Its a damn disease is what it is"....................Truer words never been spoken about turkey hunting in all of its aspects. My problem is two-fold in a way. Part of me wants to be that old timer who has used the same old call for years and years and killed a truck load of turkeys doing it. Another part of me is always on the search for that one thats got so much turkey in it that it spits feathers. so far the second me is winning,but number one seems to be closing the gap    :z-dizzy:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

gar

I prefer the term "collector" to callaholic.