turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#2 TN longbeard sneak attack

Started by catman529, April 16, 2015, 12:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

It's been a rough last week or so...I hunted hard last Wednesday running all over most of the day, only to call in a bunch of hens with a gobbler and miss him 3 times. I had some tough hunting Friday, Sunday and Monday as well. Sunday evening I almost killed a henned up strutter but he took a different route and didn't give me a shot.

Tuesday I finally hit some private land near home with a friend and we spent 3 hours stalking a known boss bird with his hens in a cow field. After all the effort, I had him at roughly 40 yards, and missed 3 times.....

Today, I went back to a nearby spot and first shot some paper. The gun wasn't off, the 20 yard was demolished. but the 40 yard shot was a tad high and a bit iffy, so I knew I wouldn't shoot one unless he was closer. All my bad shots were a mix of poor judgement and a rushed shot, as usual. Turkey fever can get me messed up more than I realize....

Anyway, we found another bird with a hen in a field, but after a while he eventually left his hen and went uphill between a cut in a tree line, to an upper portion of the field. Buddy saw him strut thru binoculars but mostly hidden behind tree line.

After his original hen went off a ways, we snuck uphill using the terrain, the tree line and a cedar tree to keep hidden.

Finally I snuck up the rise thru the hedge row and could hear him strutting...saw a tail fan... A couple more steps to rest my gun in a sapling, raised up and shot him dead at roughly 15 yards.  At least 3 hens scattered. He must have been a fighter, the longer spur was 1 1/8 inch and not very sharp. 10.5 beard and weighed 22-9.

I almost always carry a video camera on a tripod , but not today. I just needed to make sure I could make a good shot again. Going to smoke this bird whole in a few days.

Sent from the talk of tap

Gooserbat

:z-twocents:well before you get flamed for not calling him, I'll say congrats on the kill, and hopefully your season gets better.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

Weird!! One spur is a jake like knub. The other is a nice spur. Turkey oddities!! Congrats on your gobbler!!

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

catman529

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 16, 2015, 12:40:37 AM
:z-twocents:well before you get flamed for not calling him, I'll say congrats on the kill, and hopefully your season gets better.
I called to em a couple times, actually got the hens interest with one of your mouth calls but unfortunately that was after he had walked away from her.

catman529

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 16, 2015, 12:41:52 AM
Weird!! One spur is a jake like knub. The other is a nice spur. Turkey oddities!! Congrats on your gobbler!!
i am guessing he got into a bad fight, the spur was rough from where it had been broken off

trkycaller

zelmo1

alloutdoors

jblackburn

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 16, 2015, 12:40:37 AM

lol, that's what I was thinking. Been there, done that and Congrats on the bird and sticking with it!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

tomstopper

beagler

Never Misses

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase