turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#2 Down in TN

Started by taylorjones20, April 15, 2015, 08:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorjones20

After getting my cousin a bird, I started helping a guy that comes to a bible study I have at my house on Tuesday nights.  He has hunted all of his life and has turkey hunted for the past 6 or so years and has never harvested a turkey.  I told him I would help him try to get one this year.  We went to piece of property that he had permission to hunt, property looked really good and he has seen many turkeys there in previous seasons.  The weather would not cooperate with us Monday and Tuesday. Didn't hear a single gobble on the roost. We did hear a bird around 9:30 one morning at was able to call him into 54 yards but he wouldn't close the deal. We also got close on Wednesday around 11:00 but it just didn't happen then either.  Thursday morning was different, it was like someone flipped a light switch. They gobbled on the roost for a while but not a single time once they hit the ground.  We were getting ready to make a move around 8am and I looked at the other end of the field and that's where the turkeys were. One gobbler and seven hens.  We were able to get in a big ditch and close the distance to 100 yards and then set up again. Called a little and got his attention and he very slowly made his way towards us.  My friend was able to harvest his very first bird at 20 yards and the bird didn't even flop!

He weighed 21.7 lbs - 11" beard - 7/8" spurs.  It was an awfully big bird to only have 7/8" spurs. Nonetheless, he was a happy camper with his first bird!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

darn2ten

Good deal, way to help a buddy out.

chadly

Way to go both of you.  Nice bird. 

Snoodsniper

tomstopper

alloutdoors

RutnNStrutn

You're on a roll now!! Congrats!!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

beagler

Never Misses