turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Three misfires...what's the deal???!!!

Started by WNY Bowhunter, April 14, 2015, 09:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNY Bowhunter

My dad was out dialing in the scope on his 835 today (old school woodland camo) and had three shells not go off.  The first two were Win. HV's that are several years old, but the third one was one of the new Longbeard XR shells.  Each of the primers had firing pin indents put didn't go off. He thinks it was bad primers, but I say something is definately wrong with the gun.  Any ideas?
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

taylorjones20

I'd say it's either a heck of a coincidence or something wrong with the gun... Leaning WAY towards something wrong with the gun... Probably just a firing pin and or spring... Old gun = time for new springs... 
Alive only by the Grace Of God

DirtNap647

ive seen a lot of 835/935 problems with firing pins

Planner

I had a mossberg with the same issues too. Had it in and out of the gunsmith and it was never diagnosed. Sometimes it was fine, others it would misfire on a box of shells. Couldn't trust it, so I never took it out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCDieselDawg

Probably just needs a thorough cleaning.  Buddy of mine had this happen to him last year with a turkey in his sights.  He broke the gun completely down and thoroughly cleaned it. He hasn't had a problem since. 

darn2ten

Seen this on 2 different 835's. One was just gummed up and dirty. After a thorough cleaning of the bolt and firing pin he had no more issues. The other one required a new firing pin spring. I know you can get them from Midway and maybe Brownells.

BigPimpin

I'd rather be Drivin' > Disco.

WNY Bowhunter

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Bob

BandedSpur

Quote from: BigPimpin on April 15, 2015, 06:06:58 AM
835's and LB have been doing that.

This^^^^Read multiple reports on another forum of problems with 835s and LBs.

lowoctane

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on April 14, 2015, 10:13:33 PM
Probably just needs a thorough cleaning.  Buddy of mine had this happen to him last year with a turkey in his sights.  He broke the gun completely down and thoroughly cleaned it. He hasn't had a problem since.
X2!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

allaboutshooting

Here's a pretty quick fix. Make sure the gun is empty, both chamber and magazine. With the bolt back and chamber clear, rest the gun on its butt. Put just a few, 1-3 drops of a good CLP product into the firing pin hole in the bolt and let it set in that position for at least an hour. Put a couple more drops in and let it set over night or at least a couple hours.

Wipe off any excess that may be on the bolt head and then again making sure the gun is empty, both chamber and magazine, dry fire the gun several times and wipe off any CLP that may be on the bolt after that.

Dry firing will free to pin and break up anything that may have been keeping it from properly functioning.

That should resolve the problem. Those firing mechanisms get dry and friction on the firing pin may not allow it to go forward fully and strike the primer hard enough.

I perform this routinely, using just a drop of oil and don't have problems with those guns or any shells.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

MACHINIST

My old 835 did the same.Gunsmith told me the firing pin in the 835's run soft and deform after a while.

Danny1030

Probably not the issue but worth checking. Make sure your barrel is screwed down tight. If not the barrel/shell may be sitting slightly forward causing a light primer strike.

ridgerunner

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 15, 2015, 09:33:56 AM
Here's a pretty quick fix. Make sure the gun is empty, both chamber and magazine. With the bolt back and chamber clear, rest the gun on its butt. Put just a few, 1-3 drops of a good CLP product into the firing pin hole in the bolt and let it set in that position for at least an hour. Put a couple more drops in and let it set over night or at least a couple hours.

Wipe off any excess that may be on the bolt head and then again making sure the gun is empty, both chamber and magazine, dry fire the gun several times and wipe off any CLP that may be on the bolt after that.

Dry firing will free to pin and break up anything that may have been keeping it from properly functioning.

That should resolve the problem. Those firing mechanisms get dry and friction on the firing pin may not allow it to go forward fully and strike the primer hard enough.

I perform this routinely, using just a drop of oil and don't have problems with those guns or any shells.

Thanks,
Clark

This here.