turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rainy Day in VA.

Started by VaBoy, April 14, 2015, 04:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaBoy

Slept in this morning as I knew the forecast was for rain. Took my son to school and stopped by the office for a few to check email and such and decided to go sit a field in hopes of finding a late morning bird. Turning in to my spot I looked across the road and saw 3 longbeards one of which was strutting. Parked and got ready and made a long loop to get ahead on the birds and set up. Called a few times and nothing. Finally heard a bird answer a crow back towards the road so waited a few just to be sure and then headed back that way. Long story short , I saw my original 3 but they weren't buying what I was selling , one would strut for a few seconds at my calls and then go back to pecking along. The edge of the fence line is extremely thick where I was at , you can see through it but that's about all . I was surprised when I saw something trot up the farm road 5 yards beside me , even more surprised when I saw that it was a hen followed by another a minute later. Eventually I had my original 3 amigo's come by at 5 yards and looked up to see 4 more longbeards in the field that had followed the hens. Had 7 longbeards within 25 yards ! Being old and slightly senile , I elected to not bushwhack a bird and just enjoyed the site. Good char ma is always rewarded. Let the birds melt away back into the field and headed to my original destination to be greeted with 2 birds already in the field about 300 yards away. After 15 minutes or so I was able to sneak close to the edge of the field and set up in an acceptable spot. At my calling , the 1 bird left in the field head went white and he started towards me but quickly went out of site. 5 minutes and no reappearance so I cut pretty hard at him and got a gobble. 2 minutes later he is headed across the field towards me in a half strut and ends up 25 yards away but is slightly behind a cedar tree on the edge of the field. 3 steps to my left is all I needed to close the deal but alas it was not to be, he stood there for 10 minutes drumming away but would not budge. He finally gobbles and it scared me so bad I about dropped my gun. I'm thinking this is it , he's gonna leave now and sure enough he turns slightly to his right and starts to head back. Something catches his eye and sticks his head up and I look to see a bigger bird in full strut at 125 yards. Both birds gobble and bird #2 makes a bee line for bird #1 and as he get's close, the chase is on ! Bird #2 starts running him around the field but they still won't clear the cedar tree. Finally both bird's head for the entrance road and I am able to get the gun around in that direction and cluck at them as they clear the tree and boom ,down goes bird # 2 . 21 lbs. 1.25 spurs and 11.5 inch beard with a few hairs at 12. By the way , new 20 gauge with Fed HW 7's smacked him down hard @ 30 yards with hardly a flop. Sorry for the long post but there was a lot to tell. Safe hunting to all...

zelmo1

taylorjones20

Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

brimmyfish

Sounds like one awesome morning!!

BennieGobbler

Where are you at in VA?  Sounds like a great hunt!!
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Gooserbat

Great hunt, anr a great tom.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

alloutdoors

101st501

I would have passed out with that many birds around me. :z-dizzy:

mgm1955

born2hunt

Nice bird, I love it when they get in tight and startle you with a roaring gobble.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

owlhoot

Sounds like a great time! congrats on your bird. :icon_thumright:

VaBoy

Bennie, I'm in south central Va. , Pittsylvania County

surehuntsalot

congrats on a great hunt
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jbrown

Congrats on a great hunt and an awesome gobbler!!

Snoodsniper

Sounds like a blast. Good job!