OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opening Week in Virginia

Started by VaGobbler, April 13, 2015, 11:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaGobbler

It's been a great couple of days so far here in SE Virginia. 

Friday evening roosted 4 gobblers with no hens around them.  Got in and set up at 5:19 a.m. Saturday, and as I was placing the Avian-X decoy in the ground one sounded off about 150 yards away (way to early to be making a racket like that).  About 5:50, two more joined in, and by 6:00 we were in the middle of at least 9 different gobblers.  6:10 I heard simultaneous gobbles to my right, and I could tell they were on the ground and closing in.  About 5 minutes later, we were eye to eye with 3 longbeards strutting to the decoy.  They stopped and starred me down for what seemed like an eternity.  Eventually, after one started spitting and drumming, they all turned tail to us.  My buddy and I had already discussed on the way in, 1,2,3 boom on 3.  I quietly asked if he was ready for the one on the left, and he said yes.  So, 1, 2, 3boom...  Mine goes down, and he shot clean over his :(

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

VaGobbler

Apparently the rest of my great week so far wasn't posted.  Roosted another one Sunday night in a different spot, and went back the spot to find two orphaned dogs running around my parking area.  Another buddy pulls up a few minutes later, and we discuss where we are going.  Lucky for me, the dogs follow him, and I hustled down to the area I was going.  About 6:00 a.m. the bird I was after started sounding off.  Then moments later, the starts start barking their faces off in the next piece over where my buddy was going.  He finally got fed up and moved on, fortunately taking the dogs off with him.  As soon as they were out of hearing range, pretty boy started his gobbling again, this time from the ground.  My goal was to be done by 7:30 to get to work at a reasonable hour.  I heard him getting close to the gas line I was set up on, and the last time I heard him gobble I knew he was almost in the clearing.  I glanced at my watch and it was 7:24, and moments later I saw him through the brush I was behind.  Because I was close on time, I decided to go ahead and defend her honor, and deliver a face full of #6 LBXRs to him and get on about my day.

A great week so far, indeed.

zelmo1

alloutdoors

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mgm1955

tomstopper

Wish all my weeks were like that. Congrats....