turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

darn short Iowa season #1

Started by 2eagles, April 13, 2015, 08:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

I filled my season 1 tag 20 minutes in on opening morning. I've waited almost a year for this and it was over before it started. I listened to quite a few scattered gobbles early, but nothing very close to me. I called occasionally, but nothing too loud. Had two gobbles behind me close enough to excite me. I went silent for a while. Saw him at 300 yards across the field I was hunting and sang to him once. He sounded off and strutted. I was silent. He started coming my way sometimes slowly, sometimes running. At 30 yards, he stood facing me gobbling several times. Those gobbles were so loud, I could feel them vibrating my chest. He turned towards my decoys and he died at 25 yards. I kept thinking about waterfowl hunting and tips here at OG about not over calling and I believe that helped me bag my Tom.

mgm1955

zelmo1

jepcho

Nice job!  I was also out today for the Iowa opener!  I needed a gobble to take 2 more steps right away this morning and he would've died as well.  Hopefully tomorrow morning!

Mike Honcho

tomstopper

beagler

Never Misses

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

alloutdoors

stinkpickle

:icon_thumright:  Very nice!!!  Down in my area, it seems like only hens are running around this year.  The honey holes are dry...except for hens, of course.  Strange...I haven't even heard any gunshots.

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

101st501

owlhoot

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ElkTurkMan

Congrats! Do you have tags for any of the other Iowa seasons?