OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 Supermagnum magazine follower hanging up

Started by 870supermagnum, April 13, 2015, 02:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870supermagnum

I got my gun soaked once in a down pour and since then the follower hangs up on the rust spots on the inside of the magazine tube.  I've cleaned the rust spots and lubricated the inside of the tube with a light coat of light weight oil and sanded the follower down a little.  That helped, but is there something I could do that would be more permanent?

STP22

I have read that certain OEM plastic followers can cause binding. I always bought an aftermarket, stainless steel follower for all my 870s and never had an issue.
Something very similar to the posted link...
http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/magazine-tube-parts/magazine-followers/remington-stainless-steel-follower-12ga--sku100002463-22732-48467.aspx
Another thing to consider is the condition of the spring that might have corrosion as well or is worn?
Steve

Snoodsniper

I'd pull the spring and follower out and scrub the heck out of it with a bore brush. Maybe wrap some steel wool around the brush. Then oil with CLP.

870supermagnum

STP22 and Snoodsniper, thanks for the replies.  I plan on buying the SS follower, and in the mean time I'm going to clean the magazine tube with a bore brush and steelwool and lub with CLP. Thanks again.

:icon_thumright:

STP22