OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Daughter shot a large mountain bird.

Started by Stoner, April 13, 2015, 10:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoner

My daughter killed her second turkey in less than a week. The first turkey she ever killed was an Osceola that I had called in for her. We made a run to Tennessee and she shot a huge mountain gobbler. We went to the woods later in the morning after the rains had stopped and saw a gobbler and hen in the lower pasture (we scare off those birds when we got out of the truck) and with the binoculars saw two mature gobblers in the upper pasture near the crest of the mountain. After we got out of the truck it started to rain fairly hard and the fellow I was hunting with asked if we wanted to get back in the truck and wait the rain out; I told him no that the rain maybe a blessing and hide our morning from the birds high on the mountain. We set up a stand site in an old tree that was blown over. Ron started to call and the birds sounded like they moved away over the crest of the mountain. Ron wanted to try a different stand site and I told him to go and my daughter and I would stay and do a little calling. On the box call and friction call I made a couple of sequences of lost call and a few kee kees. The next thing we know a large gobbler comes gliding down the side of the mountain and lands within 20 yards of us and starts strutting with its full fan and dragging its wing tips on the ground. Val waited for the gobbler to go behind a brush pile to raise her shotgun. After it came out she shot the gobbler in it dropped in its tracks. I could not be more proud of her. She shot half of her slam in one week.

JLH

That first pic is hilarious....puts things into perspective how big that bird is!!

Congrats to you all....what a great memory.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

zelmo1

:funnyturkey: :turkey2: Great story and Congrats to you all. Keep that young lady in the woods. Can't wait for my girl to be old enough to hunt. Lucky dad. Al Baker

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: Stoner on April 13, 2015, 10:40:41 AM
My daughter killed her second turkey in less than a week. The first turkey she ever killed was an Osceola that I had called in for her. We made a run to Tennessee and she shot a huge mountain gobbler. We went to the woods later in the morning after the rains had stopped and saw a gobbler and hen in the lower pasture (we scare off those birds when we got out of the truck) and with the binoculars saw two mature gobblers in the upper pasture near the crest of the mountain. After we got out of the truck it started to rain fairly hard and the fellow I was hunting with asked if we wanted to get back in the truck and wait the rain out; I told him no that the rain maybe a blessing and hide our morning from the birds high on the mountain. We set up a stand site in an old tree that was blown over. Ron started to call and the birds sounded like they moved away over the crest of the mountain. Ron wanted to try a different stand site and I told him to go and my daughter and I would stay and do a little calling. On the box call and friction call I made a couple of sequences of lost call and a few kee kees. The next thing we know a large gobbler comes gliding down the side of the mountain and lands within 20 yards of us and starts strutting with its full fan and dragging its wing tips on the ground. Val waited for the gobbler to go behind a brush pile to raise her shotgun. After it came out she shot the gobbler in it dropped in its tracks. I could not be more proud of her. She shot half of her slam in one week.

:happy0064: Awesome turkey congrats, I'm always happy to see our kids get in to hunting,there the next generation

spur collector

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

alloutdoors

Turkeys better keep their heads down, Val's on a tear now! Congrats!

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Tennessee Lead

That's so cool congrats !

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Mike Honcho

That's a great trophy, congratulations to your daughter!

owlhoot

Great , congrats
She is on a roll now!   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.