turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question about turkeys in the rain...

Started by WNCTracker, April 12, 2015, 05:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

If you could hunt in the morning for two hours in the rain or in the afternoon for 5 hours in the rain which would you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ericbrooks

I would choose morning. Why? Because they are a little more predictable in the mornings

WNCTracker

Just putting it out there to hear everybody's 2 cents.  I could be convinced either way but am partial to mornings.

Tail Feathers

I would choose mornings too.  I usually have an idea where they start their day, but where they spend their afternoons is much harder to track where I hunt.  Plus I would have less time to be soaked. :toothy12:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

nativeks

I'd be ready the second the rain let up. They hit the fields to dry off and get fired up.

HogBiologist

I chose afternoon. If you know where they roost, you can catch Mr. Lonely going back to sleep it off. I really like afternoons.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

WNCTracker

The rain is supposed to let up midday when I can't get out. I do know where they roost at, same spot 2 yrs in a row.

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: johnplesh on April 12, 2015, 05:15:51 PM
If you could hunt in the morning for two hours in the rain or in the afternoon for 5 hours in the rain which would you choose?

Morning for me

Snoodsniper

Morning. They're going to head to the fields if it's raining and will probably stay there all day. Unless the rain lets up.

WNCTracker

This is interesting some people indicate turkeys head to fields after rain to dry their feathers and some say they go there when it does rain. It makes sense to me either way. I always thought they went to fields in the rain because their hearing is decreased due to noise of the rain and they go where they can see further to keep safe. Opinions?

Ericbrooks

Quote from: johnplesh on April 13, 2015, 06:40:51 AM
This is interesting some people indicate turkeys head to fields after rain to dry their feathers and some say they go there when it does rain. It makes sense to me either way. I always thought they went to fields in the rain because their hearing is decreased due to noise of the rain and they go where they can see further to keep safe. Opinions?

that has always been my thinking as well.

nativeks

Around here they go somewhere to try and get out of it. I hunted a monsoon a few years ago on Easter. Found the gobbler and his hens huddled under a tree near the edge of a field. He came gobbling straight to me when I started calling. And that was between 11 and noon.

jblackburn

If I had an idea of where they headed (usually a field) in the rain, I'd hunt the morning.  I'd take a blind to stay dry and happy and maybe even decoys ( :o ) and sit there calling every 15 minutes or so in hopes they would show.  Then I would post on OG that I sat in the rain, with no decoys, only yelped three times on a homemade wingbone or better yet, a blade of grass so that others would accept me as a turkey hunter, not a cheater.

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Snoodsniper

Quote from: jblackburn on April 13, 2015, 05:34:10 PM
If I had an idea of where they headed (usually a field) in the rain, I'd hunt the morning.  I'd take a blind to stay dry and happy and maybe even decoys ( :o ) and sit there calling every 15 minutes or so in hopes they would show.  Then I would post on OG that I sat in the rain, with no decoys, only yelped three times on a homemade wingbone or better yet, a blade of grass so that others would accept me as a turkey hunter, not a cheater.
Yes. We must conceal how we actually hunt in order to live up to the expectations of the elite....!

Gooserbat

Quote from: jblackburn on April 13, 2015, 05:34:10 PM

I would just claim I went to texas and shot it at 250 yards with a 22-250.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.