Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cabela's Tactical Tat'r™ 2 Turkey Vest ???

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 12, 2015, 08:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I hunted 2 days with my new vest and really like it.  This is the first vest I have ever used but I have a question for those who have this model.  Did you cut the clips off that go over the pockets or do you just let them hang?  To me they are worthless except for the one on the box call holder because it holds the cover tight.  Any reason to not cut them off?

Gooserbat

I just leave them, I've found over the years that tomorrow you might need what you get rid of today.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

eddie234

I usually secure all my calls while I'm walking thru the woods. I don't unhook any thing until I'm ready to hunt. Don't wont to get someplace and be missing my favorite call.

grayfox

Quote from: eddie234 on April 12, 2015, 01:17:38 PM
I usually secure all my calls while I'm walking thru the woods. I don't unhook any thing until I'm ready to hunt. Don't wont to get someplace and be missing my favorite call.

Pretty much what I do.

Sixes

I use one of them to go through my Thermacell case an then clip it down. Does a fine job holding the Thermacell

spaightlabs

Ingot one 2 days ago and hunted it yesterday.  I thought the same thing about cutting those off, but will leave them for the time being as you can't reallt reattach them once you chop them off...

tomstopper

Quote from: eddie234 on April 12, 2015, 01:17:38 PM
This.....

I have seen that they have come out with a tatr kickstand vest that has a hydration bladder. This is what I need. I have a medical condition that requires me to drink abnormal amounts of water. I drink about 2 gallons daily. My vest is normally used to tote water. I stuff every pocket with water bottles. Its an inconvenient necessity. Has anyone used this vest? If so how much water does it hold?  How do you like the kickstand seat? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 12, 2015, 09:20:07 AM
I just leave them, I've found over the years that tomorrow you might need what you get rid of today.
I concur.

cross21114

Quote from: 762 on April 13, 2015, 02:03:12 PM
I have seen that they have come out with a tatr kickstand vest that has a hydration bladder. This is what I need. I have a medical condition that requires me to drink abnormal amounts of water. I drink about 2 gallons daily. My vest is normally used to tote water. I stuff every pocket with water bottles. Its an inconvenient necessity. Has anyone used this vest? If so how much water does it hold?  How do you like the kickstand seat? Thanks in advance for your answers.

I have the kickstand vest.  Several years old but I put a small bladder in it and camo taped the hose.  Works well for me.  You may still need to have a separate bottle to carry the amount of water you desire.

mossyhead

I love my Tactical Tatr 2. Best vest I have used.

Quote from: cross21114 on April 14, 2015, 07:24:36 AM

I have the kickstand vest.  Several years old but I put a small bladder in it and camo taped the hose.  Works well for me.  You may still need to have a separate bottle to carry the amount of water you desire.
Thanks for the reply.  How hard was it to put a hydration bladder in the original vest? I have a hydration bladder I could do that with.

SCGobbler

Quote from: 762 on April 14, 2015, 01:03:53 PM
Quote from: cross21114 on April 14, 2015, 07:24:36 AM

Thanks for the reply.  How hard was it to put a hydration bladder in the original vest? I have a hydration bladder I could do that with.

Can you explain how you added the bladder?  My first thought was just to drop it in the game back and run the hose upward.  Is that all there was too it?
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Indianayounggun

I have had the Tat'r 2 Kickstand model for a little over a year and I have found those clips to actually be pretty useful. When I start out a morning I unzip the pocket but after that I never zip them closed again until I am done hunting, I just close the pocket with the clip and am off. I believe that was the initial motivation in the design of the vest. It cuts down on the noise and movement to unzip the pocket and it is slightly quicker than unzipping. Although all of the things may be very minor, if it keeps one bird from buggering it is worth it in my book.

SCGobbler

Quote from: Indianayounggun on April 14, 2015, 02:15:52 PM
I have had the Tat'r 2 Kickstand model for a little over a year and I have found those clips to actually be pretty useful. When I start out a morning I unzip the pocket but after that I never zip them closed again until I am done hunting, I just close the pocket with the clip and am off. I believe that was the initial motivation in the design of the vest. It cuts down on the noise and movement to unzip the pocket and it is slightly quicker than unzipping. Although all of the things may be very minor, if it keeps one bird from buggering it is worth it in my book.

I carry an Outlaw Hen and a Hot Hen by Lonnie Sneed.  Neither will fit in the the mesh call pockets in the slate call pocket.  I leave the pockets zipped up all but the very top and then latch the pockets while hunting; and I feel uncomfortable with that since I lost and found a call three weeks ago with leaving those pockets unzipped and just latched close.

The only pocket on the tater I leave latched and completely unzipped is the pocket with the bands over it.  That's where I put my phone so I can mark things on the map via HuntStand Turkey Hunt.

I keep a small flashlight in the mesh pocket as well, but I make sure it fits all they way in and does not extend past the mesh pocket so it won't fall out.

I like the tatr2 but I would say that's its main fault.  the pockets for the slates are not big enough.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge