OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alabama turkey hunt this weekend! Need some direction!!

Started by Swamphunter27, April 11, 2015, 10:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamphunter27

Hey guys! South florida dude havent posted anything yet just being lazy i guess. Shot a gobbler here in south florida opening morning this year and havent been able to seal the deal on the other 2 chances i had... With that being said thought my season was done do to work but caught a break this coming friday. I will beheading to the lease just south of montgomery, al... Just a few questions what are the birds this time of the season?? What dekes to use if any?? I have about 500 acres clearcutted and been hearing and reading about hens using these to nest.. Are the gobblers more aggressive less aggressive now that the hens are nesting?? Any intel will be greatly appreciated and hopefully be posting pictures of my bird or birds from this coming weekend

Honolua

I live in St. Clair Cty. (Central Al.). The birds here have gone really quiet. I believe that the Toms here are just covered up with receptive hens and there is no reason to gobble vocalize at all. I believe that as the hens are no longer receptive that the Toms will get noisier and start moving more.

I don't use dekes early season much but do so more frequently as the season goes on. Early season I only use a jake, then maybe a Jake and Tom in the middle part of the season. From hear on out I will use a hen and strutter.

I killed a real nice bird last week with a strutter and jake deke.

Its hard hunting right now though and due to the saturation of receptive hens my hunting has gone cold purrs and clucks but go easy on the loud stuff as they are so quiet they are sneaking in close and you won't even know it. You can let them know you are there with a loud Gobble sparingly but go easy.

I have been getting them to investigate soft