OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ever wonder why I pick up Driftwood?

Started by pappy, April 10, 2015, 01:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

this is a piece of flamed crotched black walnut I turned into cylinder form from a piece of driftwood we picked up this week. This is one piece from three different views! Look at the figure and the color! This is why I hit the river banks! 2" diameter & 4" long ....look out high end crow caller! pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

stone road turkey calls

Jack, that's a nice piece of wood. I don't know how you tell one wood from the other, they all have that grey color from being in the water.

Gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

pappy

That is a good point to bring up. Walnut will be a darker grey then say birch which will be a near white light grey, osage will be a darker grey with some brown tinting to it, the longer it stays on the river bank soaking up sun and river it will turn to almost a dark chocolate grey color. Walnut will also turn to a milk chocolate grey coloring after a while. Another way to tell is by weight, osage of course would be the heaviest where walnut will come in a close second. Cedar really turns grey quickly and it doesn't change in outer color much like a medium grey, but with cedar you have "prickly" branches sticking out everywhere and with cedar the longer it is out there the darker the red becomes to an almost purple color!
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

TarheelTurk

Nice !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

mikejd

I have a beauty made of driftwood from you. Copper pot.

Keep searching your hitting them.out of the park.