turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Magnum Blend Shells - At the range today

Started by allaboutshooting, April 09, 2015, 11:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

I was finally able to get to the range and shoot the new Magnum Blend shells with #4, #5 and #7 shot. I shot them through my Vinci, the gun I plan to use this year for turkeys. I used that gun a lot to evaluate several different shells and chokes but wanted to make sure it was shooting to POA since it's the gun I'll probably use for turkeys this spring.

I've not really had time to really look at the targets and score them but hope to do that tomorrow. I'll put some information or post a link here.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Deputy 14

allaboutshooting

the Ward

Thanks for the info Clark. Those look like they pattern real well.

DirtNap647

Nice Clark...are these shells on the market yet

allaboutshooting

I have to say they were a very pleasant surprise for me in several ways but the patterns were the best part. At some point, I'll separate the shot and see just how many of each size are present, just to satisfy my curiosity.

I was very pleased with the patterns. Now to get a turkey in front of that gun...

They are new but are available. I'm not sure how many places have them. Mack's Prairie Wings is always a good place to look for Hevi-Shot products however.

Thanks,
Clark

ridgerunner

Interesting article..Might have to try those new mag blends in my Super Vinci and see how they do..

Chilly

Pretty impressive for 3" and the larger shot.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

owlhoot

ok i will ask the question. What did that gun and choke combo do with the Magnum Blend of last year?

yes this one looks impressive.

Any other counts you can give with other chokes you shot the dozen rounds out of.

Thanks Clark for testing.

Oconeeguy

Impressive work Clark, as always.  :)

I am curious though as to what Hevi was thinking when they decided to use 4-5-7. Why not 4-5-6. Seems to be a good shell anyways.

petemoss83

Wow, perhaps my gun just dont like theses shells. The pattern you have pictured is the type pattern I sought after while experimenting with these new shells. I was shooting the 3.5" 4,5,7 out of my Mossberg835 24" ported barrel and my patterns were somewhat inconsistent. I tried as much as my wallet and wife would allow and after perhaps 8-10 boxes of these shells I was nowhere close to your results. I do plan to give to give these new Hevis another run after I polish and deep clean my barrel because I really like the shot sizes in these shells and I really want them to shoot well. Thanks Clark for posting your results. Always informative. Now I know these shells will shoot good I just need to experiment a little more.  

allaboutshooting

Quote from: owlhoot on April 10, 2015, 09:51:36 PM
ok i will ask the question. What did that gun and choke combo do with the Magnum Blend of last year?

yes this one looks impressive.

Any other counts you can give with other chokes you shot the dozen rounds out of.

Thanks Clark for testing.

You're welcome. I hope you found the information helpful.

I'd have to look back at what I've done in the past with the Magnum Blend shells. Mainly, that has been for folks who've used my patterning service and not for my personal use.

I really used the opportunity that I had for 2 purposes. The first was to see how these new shells would pattern and the second was to see if my Vinci would shoot them to POA.

The last "large scale" evaluations were with the WLB shells and H-13 shells with 32 different chokes and 6 different shotguns. Then I evaluated the 3rd Degree shells on a much smaller scale with 4 different chokes and one shotgun. Frankly, I thought I'd be through with that kind of thing for quite some time but then the new Magnum Blend shells came along...

I'm ready to hunt some turkeys and quit shooting paper for a while.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Quote from: petemoss83 on April 10, 2015, 11:40:37 PM
Wow, perhaps my gun just dont like theses shells. The pattern you have pictured is the type pattern I sought after while experimenting with these new shells. I was shooting the 3.5" 4,5,7 out of my Mossberg835 24" ported barrel and my patterns were somewhat inconsistent. I tried as much as my wallet and wife would allow and after perhaps 8-10 boxes of these shells I was nowhere close to your results. I do plan to give to give these new Hevis another run after I polish and deep clean my barrel because I really like the shot sizes in these shells and I really want them to shoot well. Thanks Clark for posting your results. Always informative. Now I know these shells will shoot good I just need to experiment a little more. 

I understand. I was able to serve a couple of purposes with this trip to the range and was very pleased with what I saw. In the past, I've always preferred the standard load to the Magnum Blend shells, not because of patterns necessarily but because of recoil. It may have been the gun, the recoil pad, the choke or maybe I was just have a numb shoulder day but I felt no more recoil from these shells than the standard load, the WLB or the 3rd Degree shells I've been shooting.
Good luck this season.

QuoteI am curious though as to what Hevi was thinking when they decided to use 4-5-7. Why not 4-5-6. Seems to be a good shell anyways.

It's a good question but one that I have not asked. I know the #7 shot is a great product and I've shot a good bit of it. Of course the #6 shot has always been my favorite since that's what I shoot so much of in competition and hunting. What ever the reason, it sure seems to work and I could not be more pleased with the patterns.

Thanks,
Clark

owlhoot

well good luck on your real turkeys, that load in your gun outta curl their spurs! :camohat:
Thanks again.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: owlhoot on April 11, 2015, 06:41:00 AM
well good luck on your real turkeys, that load in your gun outta curl their spurs! :camohat:
Thanks again.

You're welcome. I just need to get one in front of my gun now. No excuses for me.

Thanks again,
Clark