turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Patterning woes

Started by tippatah, April 09, 2015, 08:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippatah

Changed my choke/load combo from the 535 standard choke with win xx #6 to Indian creek blk diamond strike and hevi shot mag blend. The pellet increase is astounding. I was averaging low 200's at 30 yard to over 350 with the new setup. Only problem I'm having is with both combos I've had to aim low and left to get the biggest ratio in the circle. My sights are the dead ringer beard busters. I cannot make any adjustments so I'm at a loss with what I should do. Any suggestions?

Dtrkyman

Adjustable sight, tru glo makes a nice one.  Or try a different load, some loads may shoot dead on for you?  Try a target load first and see if they are shooting the same.

I just patterned my uncles old over under, shot dead on with target loads, all turk loads shot way left!

Tom Foolery

Tru Glo's or Williams Sluggers

101st501

My Indian Creek BDS shoots low with #6 long beards, but has shot high in the past with hevi shot.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

spaightlabs

I'm not a big believer in the load causing high/low/left/right poi.  That is a gun/choke/sight/shooter issue.

If Allaboutshooting tells me different I will acquiesce. 

tippatah

Don't think it's a shooters issue, if it is then I am very consistent with my issue.  Think I'll pick me up a Williams slugger sight tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys, think I'll pick up a Williams slugger tomorrow.

spaightlabs

Then it's a gun issue.  Poi not equal to poa requires shimming or sight adjustment.

Oconeeguy

I know from shooting my BPS and previous Moss 535, this it can be either shot or choke. I pattern from a lead sled and prior to that a cheaper rest. Two or the chokes I have tried, have shotonsistantly one direction or another. So I know in those two cases it was chokes alone. One of them (Moss "acuchoke") shot every single lead or Hevi load high and right. None of my other choke/shot combos behaved like that. Jellyhead in the same gun didn't shoot to the right, just slightly high.

spaightlabs

Sounds like all choke, not shell

Dtrkyman

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 09, 2015, 08:50:48 PM
I'm not a big believer in the load causing high/low/left/right poi.  That is a gun/choke/sight/shooter issue.

If Allaboutshooting tells me different I will acquiesce.

Believe what you want, I have seen it happen!

870-Wingmaster

get you a set of williams slugger sights.  I love mine.

tippatah

regardless of what exactly it is as long as it is consistent then it can be remedied right? If it is the choke then I should be able to get some adjustable sights and adjust the wind age and elevation to achieve same POA/POI and be good to go. Anyone see an issue with this? The reason I'm stressing it so much is I'm fortunate enough to have someone let me hunt their private land this weekend that is chock full of gobblers.

Cutt

Yes adjustable sights will take care of it. Could be the choke threads in the barrel too. Had a Mossberg a while back same issue, the choke threads were not concentric with the barrel. Where an extended choke just magnified the condition.

Struthunter

Are you shooting 3 1/2" shells? If so try 3"   My Benelli shots high right every time with 3 1/2" shells