News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to kill this bird???

Started by 762hunter, April 09, 2015, 04:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Honolua

Quote from: daveco on April 09, 2015, 04:50:19 PM
Sounds like a challenge.  If I were hunting there, I would try something from the following:

Use more than one hen decoy,
Use an alert jake, rather than the strutter,
Get movement from my jake (I have a sled that my jake decoy is mounted to, that allows me to move him 40 yds. in two directions.)
Use a mounted(taxidermied) jake as a decoy.
Lots of hen purring (or whatever calls the live hens are making), to see if I could get the hens to come over.
No jake decoy, only hens.
Wait them out and hope the hens leave the gobblers (maybe a longshot with 6-10 hens)
Flush the hens off their roosts, the night before, to try to get the hens farther away from the gobblers.

Good luck!

The hen deke may be the issue....he may be waiting for her to come to him (that's instinct).

Cutt

Leave the dekes at home, try getting back in the woods some where they crossed field. Postion yourself where they'd have to be in gunrange for you to see them.

perrytrails

Yep ditch the dekes. Get to a know entrance or exit be it morning or evening. Use hen yelps to get their attention then switch to deep gobbler yelps or Jake yelps. Throw in a gobble if you feel safe doing it there.

turkeyhunter60

Get there early near there roost but not too close to scare them, when it's dark.....Put out 1 single hen decoy....When the lead hen starts too talk on the roost, she will be the one to talk first, mimic her exactly what she says only.....Forget about the other birds talking, she will fly down and lead the whole group by you, shes the boss hen,  good luck.. :funnyturkey: :turkey2:
BIG FRANK...

zelmo1

Quote from: turkeyhunter60 on April 10, 2015, 03:07:19 AM
Get there early near there roost but not too close to scare them, when it's dark.....Put out 1 single hen decoy....When the lead hen starts too talk on the roost, she will be the one to talk first, mimic her exactly what she says only.....Forget about the other birds talking, she will fly down and lead the whole group by you, shes the boss hen,  good luck.. :funnyturkey: :turkey2:
:turkey2:

I like this idea. If they still get around it, I would try a passive jake decoy or 2 hens. Get that Tom fired up or rile the boss hen.

Struthunter

No decoys, dig a hole get in it and wait

GobbleNut

Hunt them as many days as you can.  Observe how they react to everything you do,...decoys, calling, where you set up, etc.  Modify your tactics and approach to hunting them based on those observations.  If they will not approach decoys,...don't use them.  If they react negatively to any sort of calling,...don't call. 

In the end the only thing that might work is hunting them enough to pattern them and then set up where they want to go and wait them out for as long as it takes.  Personally, however, that is not really what turkey hunting is about,...to me.  If I come to the conclusion that ambushing a gobbler is the only way I'm going to kill him, then I will go look for another gobbler that wants to play the game the right way.

Thundermtn

Quote from: turkeyhunter60 on April 10, 2015, 03:07:19 AM

Bingo. :z-winnersmiley: I don't use a decoy though. Just make sure your hidden well b/c this is what I do and have had hens nearly step on me looking for a fight.

Next best is a good old fashioned bushwacking, 3/4 of the time they'll do the same flydown and travel route if they haven't been messed with in that spot.

Spitten and drummen

personally no decoys. if you have the patience the hens will start nesting and those ole boys will get lonely. hang tough and one day you will set up and they may come running to you. as the season goes on , changes in the breeding stage constantly change. un killable birds become killable. they become willing to play more as the season wears on. jmo.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

m7carroll

Get within 40-50 yards of the roost and be the first hot hen on the ground. If a hen comes, he will follow. There's been plenty of times that a mad hen got a big boy in trouble. Turkeys too! ;D

RAY

Get rid of the strutter. I had two longbeards hold off and strut out of range because of a strutter deke. I now only use a hen. My 2 cents.

bowmaster5687

Just killed a bird in Nebraska that would only gobbler on the roost. Day after day, flydown with his herom of hens and that was that. Silence. Got some wet weather, got in within 40ish yards of the roost wayyyy early. Blind, jake and hen, game over 30 seconds after hitting the ground at 18 yards.

762hunter

I got him this evening, had 2 DSD hens out and waited till I saw the birds enter the field, I mimicked the hen and she got mad and came over, 35 yards shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Mallia

daveco

Quote from: 762hunter on April 10, 2015, 11:45:52 PM
I got him this evening, had 2 DSD hens out and waited till I saw the birds enter the field, I mimicked the hen and she got mad and came over, 35 yards shot

Congratulations!