turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to kill this bird???

Started by 762hunter, April 09, 2015, 04:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

762hunter

Been seeing 2 Toms running together with 8 to 10 hens, made a move and thought I had 1 a few days ago but was a little late to the spot. They busted me and off they went.
Yesterday I went and set up near a known roosting spot with my jake strutter and a DSD breeding hen.
Saw a couple hens till about 6PM when I see the Red head coming in, it was him...
He saw the decoys but stayed 80 or so yards out just looking, then 2 hens stepped back out in the field and he went across to them.
Then I notice his buddy, he followed suit and went across the field dragging their 6 hens.

The hens pushed each other around a bit and the 2 long beards just strutted around. The hens would answer my calls and they would look but didn't come check things out.

What set up would ya'll use on the next attempt?
They are not gobbling, and they appear scared of decoys.

Birds in the past have come running in to this jake strutter so I just don't understand how or why he'd be 80 yards out and just watch a strutter over a hen???

Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K9Doc

Ambush em where they enter or exit the field.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

daveco

Sounds like a challenge.  If I were hunting there, I would try something from the following:

Use more than one hen decoy,
Use an alert jake, rather than the strutter,
Get movement from my jake (I have a sled that my jake decoy is mounted to, that allows me to move him 40 yds. in two directions.)
Use a mounted(taxidermied) jake as a decoy.
Lots of hen purring (or whatever calls the live hens are making), to see if I could get the hens to come over.
No jake decoy, only hens.
Wait them out and hope the hens leave the gobblers (maybe a longshot with 6-10 hens)
Flush the hens off their roosts, the night before, to try to get the hens farther away from the gobblers.

Good luck!

aaron

Sounds like you know where they roost.....there will be a spot they prefer to fly down too.   Sneak in in the pitch black and shoot him when his feet hit the ground.  I have done this quite a few times.  If you get in early enough you wont bump them off the roost. 

Dr Juice

TauntoHawk

Roost the night before and slip in early get in tight like right in the landing zone 30-40yds from the roost. I've dropped several birds within seconds of them hitting the ground.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

101st501

I have the same problem and I am still trying to kill a bird.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 09, 2015, 07:58:57 PM
Roost the night before and slip in early get in tight like right in the landing zone 30-40yds from the roost. I've dropped several birds within seconds of them hitting the ground.

This^^^
Take the hunt to the birds. Seems like everybody these days has to rely on decoys to kill turkeys. 

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

TauntoHawk

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 09, 2015, 09:56:02 PM

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 09, 2015, 07:58:57 PM

This^
Take the hunt to the birds. Seems like everybody these days has to rely on decoys to kill turkeys.

If I have a bird roosted I like to get in close enough to see him in the tree, watching them wake up and fly down all around you is just awesome.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dtrkyman

Patience!  Wait em out where they like to be, forget the dekes!

Chilly

This is risky but it works if you have plenty of land and all else has failed including the ambush which I would try first.
Go in after dark and wreck the roost.  Send birds flying everywhere if you can.  They will be looking to get back together in the morning and most of the time they will be vocal doing so.  Good luck.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

mgm1955

Be aggressive with the hens. When they call cut them off. See if you can can the lead hen aggravated enough she wants to come and fight.

jbrown

If nothin else works, try low key cuttin, then jake gobble on top of your cuttin. Dont call too loud and blow them out of the field.

TRG3

Remember...the peck order is always working with the gobblers and hens. If you can rile up one of the gobblers by sounding like an intruder gobbler, he just might decide to come and put you in your place! It often works for me...